Acer E15 E5 10 months old wirring like a helicopter and overheats

Nice4What
Nice4What Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Just looking for a simple answer. Not one that means I need tools. Or one I need to open the laptop.

Why is a lightly used, twice sent back, replaced motherboard, less than a year old laptop wirring and buzzing like it is about to take off? It has done since the start.

A simple answer why. Please. Thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,844 Trailblazer
    (1) How do you know it's overheating?
    (2) What is full E5-xxx model number?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Nice4What
    Because it is hot to touch. 

e 5 523g 958x
  • JackE
    Anything under about 85*C is normal with high fan speeds for this model under heavy load. You can try reducing it by opening Control Panel. Search 'power'. Click 'choose power plan' in left. Set power plan to 'balanced' from 'performance'. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Nice4What
    Why is it whirring like a helicopter?

Also, why does the battery die while on airplane mode in sleep mode over a few hours? Yet my 5 year old ACER can last a couple of days on the same setting.
  • JackE
    The fan blades are spinning at nearly 3,000rpm to move a lot of cooling air. How would you expect blades spinning that fast to sound?

If it's draining that quickly, your display and/or HDD are probably not off. And try using FN+F3 toggle key for turning airplane mode on and off --- much simpler and less trouble. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Nice4What
    I expect a more or less brand new laptop to be silent. I don't run any software at all except Chrome. I don't use this for anything except browsing. It has a fair spec; better than some. I do not expect it to be as noisy as this. 
  • JackE
    >>> twice sent back>>> I do not expect it to be as noisy as this.  >>>

Did the ACER service center claim that the fan was replaced? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ