How to remove a custom added efi boot option from f12 boot menu? acer aspire E1- 510

Options
Yashtiwari36574
Yashtiwari36574 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I installed phoenix OS into my acer aspire E1- 510 but even after disabling secure boot it was always booting to windows. I found a solution on the web which guided me to add a custom boot option by going into the bios and selecting the add a efi file as trusted secure boot option or something like that and i added the grub file of phoenix os and I can now boot with it but now I want to uninstall phoenix os and I would like to know the steps to remove that custom added boot option from the boot menu which comes up when i press f12 during boot. Thanks and any help will be appreciated.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Use Windows administrative command prompt to run diskpart. Assign a drive letter to the HDD EFI FAT32 partition. Then simply use File Explorer to find and delete the trusted grubxxx.efi from the assigned drive. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>> I have another OS installed which requires grub2win to setup it's boot option>>>

It shouldn't interfere since it has a different name. Better post a screenshot of your BIOS boot tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Use Windows administrative command prompt to run diskpart. Assign a drive letter to the HDD EFI FAT32 partition. Then simply use File Explorer to find and delete the trusted grubxxx.efi from the assigned drive. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• Yashtiwari36574

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the answer. I did find some softwares online such as bootice x64 which helps me to remove the entry but everytime i boot into Windows the entry is back again in the boot menu.
  • JackE
    Options
    Use diskpart. It's safer. If you need detailed directions, let me know. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Yashtiwari36574

Tinkerer

Options

I opened command prompt with administrative rights and started diskpart and gave the command /enum firmware to gave me the list and deleted the entry I added by typing  /delete {Identifier} and it successfully deleted it but the next time I booted I again got the option in the boot menu and I also deleted the grub file from the efi partition.
  • JackE
    Options
    Check your BIOS boot tab. You may be able to delete the grub entry from there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Yashtiwari36574

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Options
    I did check the boot tab but there is no option to delete the grub entry. There is a efi file in the list of files to be booted but I cannot remove it, I can just change the boot order. Do you need any picture of any of my options to get more insight on this? Thanks for helping me out.
  • Yashtiwari36574

Tinkerer

Options
    After removing the grub file from the efi partiton, the option in my boot menu doesn't work since it cannot find the file and it boots back to windows but the option is still there. Even if I leave the option as it is, I have another OS installed which requires grub2win to setup it's boot option. So if i leave the option as it is and install grub2win for the other OS, will the new installed grub interfere with the older one?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>> I have another OS installed which requires grub2win to setup it's boot option>>>

It shouldn't interfere since it has a different name. Better post a screenshot of your BIOS boot tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Yashtiwari36574

Tinkerer

Options
    Actually the OS is a modded version of the one I removed with the name Phoenix OS ROC Instead of Phoenix OS and I will upload the screenshot right away.
  • Yashtiwari36574

Tinkerer

Options
    I am sorry for the late response. I installed grub2win and added the boot option for the other OS and everything seems to work fine. I was worried because I thought it might interfere with the older grub but it seems fine so I don't really care for that ghost entry in my menu. Thanks for the help though.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>but it seems fine so I don't really care for that ghost entry in my menu. Thanks for the help though. >>>

OK. Probably not worth trying to remove the entry then. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaxwellsDemon
    MaxwellsDemon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>but it seems fine so I don't really care for that ghost entry in my menu. Thanks for the help though. >>>

OK. Probably not worth trying to remove the entry then. Jack E/NJ
    I thought the same but after trying out different linux distros over time I maxed out the number of entries. It is 5. I couldnt figure out how to remove older efi entries because usin bcdedit\delete would just bring back the deleted values after reboot.
    Finally what worked was updating the bios. This removed the older entries.
  • JackE
    Options
    Pressing F9 to re-set BIOS defaults might've worked too. Or not.   :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaxwellsDemon
    MaxwellsDemon Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    Pressing F9 to re-set BIOS defaults might've worked too. Or not.   :)    Jack E/NJ
    I tried this but pressing F9 only changed the boot order to default and did not erase old boot entries. I forgot to mention that I have an Aspire VX5-591G. 
  • JackE
    Options
    MaxwellsDemon>>>Finally what worked was updating the bios. This removed the older entries. >>>

This didn't work? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• canzara07
    canzara07 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    Pressing F9 to re-set BIOS defaults might've worked too. Or not.  https://andwebtraffic.org/   :)    Jack E/NJ
    I tried this but pressing F9 only changed the boot order to default and did not erase old boot entries. I forgot to mention that I have an Aspire VX5-591G. 
    It worked for me