Computer issues: Pages load slow, shutdown takes a long time, etc...

KURT53S
KURT53S Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
It's been going on for about 2 weeks now, the pages take much longer than before to load, it's sluggish, and I have no idea why it takes so long to shutdown. I have tried MalwareBytes, my Antivirus program (Black Ice), disk cleanup, defrag, and my speakers keep going out (which mean I have to reboot everytime it happens.), and even brought it to a few computer places to have them look at it. They were all baffled as to the cause of the problems and how to resolve them. The Geeks at Best Buy simply stated if they couldn't find anything wrong, than there isn't a way to fix it.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    We're going to have to get a bit more info from you. What computer do you have? What are it's specs? Which OS version are you running? Have you fired up Task Manager to see if there are any tasks running amok?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • KURT53S

Tinkerer

I have an ACER ASPIRE XC - 704G. I wasn't sure exactly what you needed (when you said specs), I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers. I know some from what my brother has taught me (he has extensive knowledge about computers). Anyway, the specs; Windows 10, x64 - based PC, Installed RAM 4.00 GB, Processor Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU J3060 @1.60GHz 1.60GHz, Version 1809 OS build 17763.253. As far as the Task Manager goes, I don't mess with it because I don't know anything about it, except how to turn off programs, etc...   That's all I found that had to do with specs, I hope this is what you were talking about?  
  • billsey
    That helps a lot, the only thing we're missing there is the size of your HDD and how much is free. Your specs are common for a base level machine. 4GB is pretty close to the low end for memory, as is the CPU, the Celeron has two cores and each core can do one thing at a time. You have the latest OS version.

In Task Manager there's a Performance tab, you can look there to see if the CPU, Memory or Disk is running full out. My computer right now is running on an i5 processor, averaging about 15% usage. I have 8GB of memory and I'm using about 6.1GB. My disk is reading and writing about 2% of the time. If your system were running exactly the same stuff as I have going right now your memory would be maxed out and more, forcing the OS to use swap space to handle the excess. That would slow it down significantly, since the HDD is much, much slower than memory. You'd also see the disk usage much higher than mine, because of the swap space activity. Take a look at yours and see where you are at and report back.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • KURT53S

Tinkerer

The CPU is around 22 - 24%, Memory goes from 79 - 82%, and Disk jumps around...highest I saw was 82%. The Hard drive is 500 GB. 
  • billsey
    How much free space on the HDD? Likely you still have plenty, but it's better to make sure. Look at the apps running and try shutting a few down to verify freeing up memory will speed things up.