2x Thunderbolts for same e-GPU?

V4RM4
V4RM4 Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Helios 500 has 2 thunderbolt ports, since each port is capable of 40Gbps and supports upto 100W, is it possible to connect an e-GPU, a single one, to both the ports, so that 8 pcie lanes are used instead of the usual just 4 lanes provided by a single port?? 
If my comment has helped you, remember to hit "Yes" on whether this answered your question. Help a fellow user out!

Helios 500 <3 , CS Major , IT Pro, but most importantly human being.  :3
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something."
V.4.R.M.4.
p.s: sUbScRiBe To pEwDiEpiE  :p 

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It features the second-generation 3.1 usb, see:

However, I also do not know to inform you if it is possible to connect a single egpu on both usb ports 3.1!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I never heard someone to combine 2 pcie ports into 1 thus increasing the bandwidth. Some thing should go with the thunderbolts, although I am pretty sure that the x4 PCIe lanes are shared between the 2 ports instead of having each port with 4 lanes.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• If it's a second-generation 3.1 usb port that owns thunderbolt, it might be possible to install an egpu!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • V4RM4
    ven98 said:
    I never heard someone to combine 2 pcie ports into 1 thus increasing the bandwidth. Some thing should go with the thunderbolts, although I am pretty sure that the x4 PCIe lanes are shared between the 2 ports instead of having each port with 4 lanes.
    Oh yes, sorry, my bad, a single thunderbolt controller that has 2 ports have x4 lanes shared between them. I too haven't heard anyone connecting a single enclosure to two ports at a time as well, it was just a thought over free time.
    If my comment has helped you, remember to hit "Yes" on whether this answered your question. Help a fellow user out!

V.4.R.M.4.
  • V4RM4
    If it's a second-generation 3.1 usb port that owns thunderbolt, it might be possible to install an egpu!
    I am not sure about the generation. The Helios 500 is my machine. Pretty sure its atleast Thunderbolt 3.

V.4.R.M.4.
  • What is the exact model of notebook? Example an515-51!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• V4RM4
    What is the exact model of notebook? Example an515-51!
    Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51 

V.4.R.M.4.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

However, I also do not know to inform you if it is possible to connect a single egpu on both usb ports 3.1!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• V4RM4

Gracias bud! 

V.4.R.M.4.