A515-53 - Purchasing a charger

jose_beltran
jose_beltran Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone =) ,

I recently purchase a Nitro 5 and everything's been great so far. Because I'm returning to university, I need to buy an spare charger so I don't have to take the charger with me everytime I move from my house or my apartment. The original charger that came in the box is a 19V - 7.1A resulting in a whopping 135W so it is pretty powerful. I'm pretty sure that charging the battery slower (less watts) would relieve stress from the lithium ion battery and help keep temperatures low. Besides that, I'm not interested at all to having my laptop charged in an hour or so because I always have a plugged nearby, I think that the trade is worth in cellphones. While I was searching in different websites to purchase the spare charger, I found that Nitro 5 Spin and several Aspire E & R models have a 65W charger by default, they are not only less than half the price and way lighter and less bulkier than the 135W Nitro 5 charger.  :o
Do you guys think that it'd be fine for the laptop if I get one of those 65W charger? Like I said I don't care if it takes longer to charge, but I want to keep temperatures down, prolong my battery life span, and have a lighter and less bulkier charger in my backpack. Do you think is worth the trade off? 

PS. they all have the same plug into the PC, of course.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't think is a good idea to use a different charger than the one you have, because the charger usually provides the power that the device requests, so if the laptop requires 135W power from a 65W charger that will fry the charger. Using a charger with a different voltage rating can kill the laptop. Having a charger with a the same voltage rating, but higher ampere rating and therefore higher wattage rating theoretically shouldn't cause any problems, but if it has lower ampere and wattage rating can potentially fry/kill the charger as it will be unable to provide the power that the laptop requires. It will charge the device for some time, but it will heat up very fast and after that you can guess what will happen.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!