My cb3-431 turns on only when plugged in and won't charge

basharhd99
basharhd99 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi
I'm gonna lay out everything in order
Chromebook: Acer Chromebook 14 cb3-431
Warranty: Nope, as the laptop is just over a year old.
The problem: The laptop only turns on when plugged in, and the battery is stuck at 84%.Also, the battery LED on the side keeps blinking orange, don't know what that means but it's unusual.
What I've done:
1- Hard reset and powerwash: nothing happened
2- Opened it up, removed the battery, held down the power button for 20 seconds to get rid of static electricity: nothing happened
3- Unplugged everything from the motherboard and plugged them back again (to see if the problem was something loose): nothing
4- Did what google recommended (as in unplug the device, close the lid, plug it back in and leaving it for at least an hour): nothing
Notes:
1- I did the crosh test, it says:
    Battery is discharging (81.95% left)
    Battery health (68.11%)
    Battery discharged 0.00% in 300 seconds.
2- THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE! This same problem happened 2 months ago but it resolved itself in 2 days somehow. This time it has lasted for 2 weeks already.
----
What else can I do? 

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,002 Pathfinder
    @basharhd99
    I guess you did all steps to fix the unit. But i guess it might be some hardware issue. So i would request you to contact Acer tech support, so that you can send it for repair. Please find the below link to contact Acer
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Is there any deformation visible on the battery, bulging or bending? It sounds like the battery is having issues and that's pretty unusual for one that's only a year or so old.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • basharhd99
    basharhd99 Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    Is there any deformation visible on the battery, bulging or bending? It sounds like the battery is having issues and that's pretty unusual for one that's only a year or so old.
    nope, it looks normal
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Darn, that would have given us something to go on. Look closely at the power jack, it's connection to the motherboard and the same for the battery. I'd guess the power jack and such are going to be good since you can run when connected to AC, but you're going to want to be comfortable with a bad battery diagnosis before ordering a replacement.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.