Aspire V5-122P-0681 Default boot Device Mising or Boot Failed help please

joemello
joemello Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
I have an Aspire V5-122P-0681 running Windows 10 that is coming booting up to a screen which reads:
Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed.
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media
Ok

When I press enter to select "Ok" it brings up a Boot Manager screen with one option:
Windows Boot Manager (WDC WD5000LPVX-22VOTTO

When I select that it simply goes to a black screen.  I do not have a boot disk so I have searched this forum for solutions which all seem to point to my BIOS not being setup properly.  I have tried the suggestions such as changing to "Legacy" boot mode which does not correct the issue.  If I understand the other posts the problem most likely lies in the BIOS Settings, can you tell me exactly what each one should be set to for this model?  Also is it possible to order a boot file that can be put on a memory stick to reload everything?  Or is there another procedure I can go through to get this working again.

The other pertinent details about this laptop are:
CPU AMD Quad Core Processor A6-1450M (1.0 Ghz)
Memory 6 GB DDR3L Memory
Battery 3 cell li-ion battery
storage 500 GB HDD / 1366 x 768 HD
Touchscreen 11.6 LED

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, Thank you,

Joe
joem@joem.com

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    --- please delete your email address.

no, it's not a BIOS issue.
    probably your HDD is not working correctly or is missing the boot partition.

if you press Alt+F10 keys at boot, are you able to reach the windows recovery?
    if not

Once downloaded, launch the .exe file and follow the on screen instructions to create an USB bootable media
    If you need to recover your desktop/laptop from startup issues:
     1. Insert the media and power on the machine.
     2. Boot to BIOS, pressing F2 , then press F9 to load default, then from BOOT tab enable F12 boot menu and then press F10 to save and exit
     3.  at reboot press F12  choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
     4. Select your language and press next.
     5. Click on Repair your computer...if this doesn't work
     6. Click on Reset this PC if you want to try to keep your files and re-install windows 10 or click Advanced Options to attempt to restore from a previous point.

I'm not an Acer employee.