Could I upgrade my old aspire? acer ax1935

zzsilver
zzsilver Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an old acer ax1935 desktop I've had it for about 7 years still works perfectly.

I was hoping to upgrade the processor, and add a graphics card since I have a 1060 laying around somewhere.

Would it be possible?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The x16 slot itself can handle a GPU, and the 1060 would be a huge improvement for gaming, the issue is going to be the power supply. The Aspire X1935 came with a 220W supply, which isn't enough to drive the 1060. The supply is a  bit of an odd duck, not a more standard ATX form factor but instead the smaller, longer form used in some of the micro cases. You're going to want something with 300-500W of power and it needs to be PFC compliant so start your search matching that... For the processor you should be able to use most Sandy Bridge models could work, the Core i5-3450 was the best one that shipped with this model.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The x16 slot itself can handle a GPU, and the 1060 would be a huge improvement for gaming, the issue is going to be the power supply. The Aspire X1935 came with a 220W supply, which isn't enough to drive the 1060. The supply is a  bit of an odd duck, not a more standard ATX form factor but instead the smaller, longer form used in some of the micro cases. You're going to want something with 300-500W of power and it needs to be PFC compliant so start your search matching that... For the processor you should be able to use most Sandy Bridge models could work, the Core i5-3450 was the best one that shipped with this model.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • zzsilver
    zzsilver Member Posts: 3 New User
    billsey said:
    Do you think this board supports DDR4? I'm hoping to upgrade this as well. this is quite an oddball of a PC and I can't find much on it.

• billsey
    Nope, that chipset supports DDR3 1.5V 1333/1600 (1GB / 2GB / 4GB). It gets tough to do too many upgrades more than 2-3 years out, just because of the component limits on older systems.
  • DaRob
    DaRob Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have an ASPIRE AX1935-ES20P I have upgraded to windows 10. But it won't accept the update feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 amd64 2019-04. Does ACER have a fix for this issue?
  • billsey
    Have you checked the upgrade logs to see where it specifically is failing?
  • Bikerbob
    Bikerbob Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I have a DI75B motherboard from a x1935 that I have moved over to a larger case to get a better psu and video card on it. Everything is ok except for the video card. I know I dont have the last A3 bios.. but I also have no way to upgrade it.. the WINDOWS upgrade for bios errors out.. and the x1935 is UEFI based and there is no way to boot to dos. 

Not sure if the bios upgrade would help. But  a NVIDIA 770 gets to DEL for bios.. and hangs.. RX480 does not get to any screen. 

Anyone have anything like this running on this motherboard???

James