G3-710 BIOS Update

coinergy
coinergy Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
I have G3-710 with BIOS version R01-A2 (03/17/2016) and would like to upgrade to latest version.
But I had some issue like "microcode error" message.

Can anyone assist me? Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    What problem are you having that you think the firmware update will fix? If none, do NOT try to update the firmware due to the significant risk of bricking the machine or adverse side-effects on other devices. Trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist with an update, particularly a firmware update, is not a good practice. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• coinergy
    Hi JackE,
    Thank you for your kind reply.

I wanted to install Linux Ubuntu 18.04 but failed due to "microcode error" during installation process.
    And realized that last BIOS update was sometimes in 2016.

My installation of Ubuntu was not successful.

If possible for BIOS update, which is the correct firmware to be downloaded and installed?

Kindly advise. Thank you.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Does the Ubuntu Live CD run?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    How did version RO1-A2 get on your machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• coinergy
    billsey said:
    Does the Ubuntu Live CD run?
    I install from USB drive (burnt ISO file to it)
  • coinergy
    JackE said:
    How did version RO1-A2 get on your machine? Jack E/NJ
    Originally was there since purchase less than 1 year ago.
  • JackE
    OK. Don't try to update it because you risk bricking it with a gateway or RO2-xx version. Try to install another ubuntu flavored version like Mint or 16.04. Is there is reason you must have 18.04? Jack E/NJ

Ubuntu dual boot
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

Jack E/NJ

• coinergy
    JackE said:
    OK. Don't try to update it because you risk bricking it with a gateway or RO2-xx version. Try to install another ubuntu flavored version like Mint or 16.04. Is there is reason you must have 18.04? Jack E/NJ

Ubuntu dual boot
    ( 0) Pre-shrink Windows partition to desired unallocated space for Linux installation.
    ( 1) Make bootable GPT/FAT32(default) stick from the Linux installation iso with Rufus.
    ( 2) Set BIOS supervisor password(SECURITY), disable secure boot(BOOT)& enable F12 Windows boot mgr (MAIN). Save BIOS settings & exit. May not be needed with some Linux installations like Mint.
    ( 3) Shutdown & insert bootable Linux stick
    ( 4) Turn back on while immediately tapping F12. Select Linux stick to run.
    ( 5) Preferrably select a default Linux install option
    ( 6) Follow on-screen instructions to install alongside Windows.
    ( 7) Let Linux automatically set & resize partitions for Linux & its swap. Adjust for more or less space only if absolutely necessary.
    ( 8) Shutdown & remove Linux stick.
    ( 9) Turn back on while tapping F2.
    (10) Re-enable secure boot(BOOT) & select UEFI file as trusted(MAIN). Select HDD0, SSD0 or eMMC0, then <EFI>, then <ubuntu>, then grubx64.efi the UEFI file. Enter grubx64.efi in the space provided if selecting it doesn't automatically enter it. Save BIOS setting and exit.
    (11) Boot into Windows. Then shutdown again.
    (12) Turn back on while tapping F12.
    (13) If desired, put grubx64.efi ahead of Windows boot manager in UEFI bootstrapper

Noted & thanks again.

Let me do it & revert should there be any other issue. :-)