Swift 3 Keyboard degrades and stops working, power switch affected (FIX INCLUDED)

chconners
chconners Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I purchased 2 of the SF314-54-56L8 models in August 2018, manufactured in April 2018.  While they seem to be good systems overall, one of them began having keyboard problems in late November.  I thought power cycling was a good first step, not realizing that the power switch was a functional part of the keyboard, and now the computer could not be turned on.  Researching a little more, I found this thread (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/470202/swift-3-wont-turn-on/p2) with a January 2018 post by TibiAcer, whose description seemed similar to this issue.  After reading enough online to make me feel comfortable opening this laptop (remove the bottom screws, pry with spudgers & pics starting at the hinge at the engraved SWIFT logo) I did and saw the dislodged keyboard ribbon cable immediately.

I hope the attached picture illustrates the problem:  The keyboard ribbon cable curves in a 180 from the keyboard to the mainboard, with the bundle of wires from the battery to the mainboard resting outside of the loop between the ribbon cable and the bottom of the case.  The bundle was obviously pushing against the ribbon cable, and every flex of the case flexed the ribbon cable right next to the connector.  Eventually, the left side of the cable (Green Highlight A) worked loose, and you can see that latching pin open.  The right side (Green Highlight B ) latching pin is still closed.  Also, the red wire in the wire bundle was pinched between the battery and the case (Red Highlight C) showing how tight the space is. I want to add that I am amazed at all of the engineering involved, and all of the carefully considered trade-offs made in laying out the wiring.  I just wish they had made a different choice here.
I don't particularly like my solution, either, but it was the best I could think of.  The wire bundle now passes through the middle of the ribbon cable loop.  My thought is that the current flow is DC, and without high speed fluctuations and relative low data rate of the keyboard, crosstalk should not be an issue.  Added some electrical tape both along the ribbon cable (like the original) and completely covering the ribbon cable connector (and the latching pins).  Everything seems fine after reassembly.
Should I consider adding some material around the wire bundle where it passes through the keyboard ribbon cable loop more than cloth tape already there?  Do I open the other laptop and make the same change as a preventative measure?  Am I missing something that will make me regret this fix?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Answers