Normal CPU and GPU Temperatures

EliasM
EliasM Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi guys,
I bought my i9 Helios 500 recently, and the CPU temperature while I'm gaming is always above 80 degrees. It ranges from 82 to 85 no more. I wonder if this is fine, or normal... because I've read many reviews of how this device manages heat properly and I have no idea if 85 is fine or not. Surface temperature of the laptop is barely hot, which is a good sign and justifies the positive heat management reviews. Also, 20 sec after I exit the game, the CPU temperature drops to around 50s. Fans seldom turn on, during gaming I'd say fans run 50% speed. I use Predator sense to check CPU temperatures.
Regarding GPU temperatures, even while gaming, it doesn't exceed 65. I have 90+ FPS on most of the games on ultra settings, including PUBG, Wildlands... etc.
So, what is the normal range for the temperatures
Thanks for your reply! :)
Elias

Best Answer

• Drosera
    Drosera Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hey Elias,

Yeah, 80-85 degree with 28% on CPU is normal. However, of course, 80 is better to the CPU than 85. If you have a second monitor and set it as an extend monitor (not duplicate), you can move Task Manager and PredatorSense to that screen. When opening a game, even if you're not ACTUAL PLAYING that game, you can see the CPU load and temperature skyrocket. The load may reduce after a bit, while the degree mantains (or drops down, that depends). When you're not playing, the GPU is not in use, so the temperature won't rise much, or not at all.

Meanwhile most (or all) games utilize GPU, some games still use CPU, you'll see a higher temperature on CPU in those games. However, even you play a game rendering on GPU only, the CPU still has to work as a brain.

When you exit a game, the brain stops working, it doesn't have to give command to RAM, the game and GPU anymore. That's why the temperature drops down really quick.

But like I mentioned, the lower the temperature, the better for CPU/GPU. I recommend that you turn on the fan at maximum if the CPU/GPU is higher than 80-85. I run my laptop with an external GPU that have a software allowing me to custom the fan speed. I set the fan run at 80% speed if the temperature is higher than 75, and at 100% speed if it's above 80.

Hope it helps :)

Answers

• What is the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZoNeldaLoNife
    ZoNeldaLoNife Member Posts: 4 New User
    Under volt  and viola your problem solved .Also in high performance do lower the cpu from 100% down to 99% 
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Under volt  and viola your problem solved .Also in high performance do lower the cpu from 100% down to 99% 
    Dont reduce it to 99%. If you do that you will disable your turbo. You don't want to do that.
  • ATR42
    ATR42 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    85 is getting up there. I run my fans at 100% while gaming. Sure it sounds like a vacuum cleaner but chances are you are wearing headsets anyways. it will cool the cpu way down, I bet you would see temps in the low 70’s w the fans on high. 

Helios 500 . PH517-51-72NU . i7 8750H . GTX1070 . Evo 970 nvme

• EliasM
    What is the exact model of your notebook? Example an515-51!

PH517-51-95C6

• EliasM
    edited January 2019
    Thanks guys for your replies, but that I'd rather say that I want to know if 85 is normal/acceptable for gaming. Will continuous usage on this temperature somehow damage my device? Is it fine to play for two or three hours with my CPU temperature above 80? That's all what I'm asking.
    Also, if I put my fans on Auto (via Predator Sense), it doesn't run at full speed when temperatures are around 85... While if I manually set the fans to full throttle, temperatures go down to low 70s, or high 60s...
  • EliasM
    Another update!!
    I've downloaded a program and monitored the performance during a 25 minutes PUBG game on ultra settings. The GPU load during the game was always above 95%, but the CPU load DID NOT EXCEED 28% and averaged around 20% all the game. GPU temp was around 64 degrees while the CPU temperature was (as expected) above 80 always and averaged at 85 degrees (Fans on Auto).
    I hope this info helps...
    Is there anything wrong here? because 30% load and 85 degrees doesn't seem logical to me...
  • I consider these normal temperatures, see:

Also, did you configure the notebook for high-performance power options? Have you set up video cards for high performance as well?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Drosera
    Drosera Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓
    Hey Elias,

Yeah, 80-85 degree with 28% on CPU is normal. However, of course, 80 is better to the CPU than 85. If you have a second monitor and set it as an extend monitor (not duplicate), you can move Task Manager and PredatorSense to that screen. When opening a game, even if you're not ACTUAL PLAYING that game, you can see the CPU load and temperature skyrocket. The load may reduce after a bit, while the degree mantains (or drops down, that depends). When you're not playing, the GPU is not in use, so the temperature won't rise much, or not at all.

Meanwhile most (or all) games utilize GPU, some games still use CPU, you'll see a higher temperature on CPU in those games. However, even you play a game rendering on GPU only, the CPU still has to work as a brain.

When you exit a game, the brain stops working, it doesn't have to give command to RAM, the game and GPU anymore. That's why the temperature drops down really quick.

But like I mentioned, the lower the temperature, the better for CPU/GPU. I recommend that you turn on the fan at maximum if the CPU/GPU is higher than 80-85. I run my laptop with an external GPU that have a software allowing me to custom the fan speed. I set the fan run at 80% speed if the temperature is higher than 75, and at 100% speed if it's above 80.

Hope it helps :)