How to dual boot Windows 10 / Linux, keeping the recovery partition?

FredWagner
FredWagner Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi!
I have a brand new Acer notebook that came with Windows 10 pre-installed.
It also has a handy recovery partition that I can user to reset to factory state reinstalling Windows if I press ALT+F10 at boot screen.

I want to resize the Windows partition and install Ubuntu Linux there. This process is ok and I have done it before.

Now the question: Will the recovery partition still be bootable after that? I know that ALT+F10 will probably stop working since GRUB will overwrite the default bootloader.

But will I be able to boot into the recovery from GRUB and reset to factory?

If anyone has experience with that please share.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,840 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019
    No. ALT+F10 will continue to work. Grub doesn't overwrite anything. Use this link for hints on installing alongside Windows. Just leave the recovery partiton alone. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Jack E/NJ

• FredWagner
    FredWagner Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    No. ALT+F10 will continue to work. Grub doesn't overwrite anything. Use this link for hints on installing alongside Windows. Just leave the recovery partiton alone. Jack E/NJ

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Thanks for the answer!
    So, after I setup the dual boot (Windows 10 / Linux), in case I need to restore everything back to factory I can still use ALT+F10 and the partitions will come back to the factory layout? Or does the recovery utility require the partitions to be in the original format?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,840 Trailblazer
    No. The ACER recovery partition acts like an ACER recovery DVD or USB stick based on your machine's  mainboard serial number id (SNID), not the HDD or SSD it's installing the factory-fresh Win10 on. So it should re-install Win10 on the Windows partition and a fresh copy of the trusted file in the EFI partition. Linux & its swap won't be touched. It would be up to you whether or not you want to get rid of Linux and reclaim the unallocated space for a bigger Windows partition. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ