Replace thermal paste on Acer Swift 1 SF114-32

Bytemare
Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Anyone been able to, or tried to replace the thermale paste on Swift 1 SF114-32 ? It's the version without any fans, but on other laptop's I've had doing that has helped alot reducing heat.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The module is held to the mainboard and cpu with 3 screws. Not particularly easy to get at. It should be avoided unless you have a serious overheating issue. But if you must, here's what your up against in the image below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    The module is held to the mainboard and cpu with 3 screws. Not particularly easy to get at. It should be avoided unless you have a serious overheating issue. But if you must, here's what your up against in the image below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    WOW thank you! this was more than I hoped for :) I dont have any heat issues so far, but I like to know my computer best as possible for the long term :)
  • Mateo620
    Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Bytemare said:
    Anyone been able to, or tried to replace the thermale paste on Swift 1 SF114-32 ? It's the version without any fans, but on other laptop's I've had doing that has helped alot reducing heat.
    I haven't attempted it yet but have considered it. It'd be great to get some before and after temperature readings. Replacing the thermal paste should aid in reducing throttling as well. I've even thought about enhancing the Thermal Module by adding thermal pads to it that contact the bottom aluminum cover for even greater heat transfer and dissipation. Another mod I've seen done to fanless laptops is the addition of copper shims. 

I'm also looking into increasing performance, extending battery life and reducing temperatures of my SF114-32 with ThrottleStop. We can also try to raise the TDP like other Chinese Gemini Lake-based laptops and computers. The only issue is the Acer BIOS is locked down and barebones with no options to tweak the hardware. The Chinese Gemini Lake laptops like on Tech Tablets have their BIOSes fully unlocked which is pretty cool. They allow you to change eMMC speeds, RAM speeds, CPU TDP, VRAM, etc. However somethings just shouldn't be messed with and can brick your laptop of course.
  • Mateo620
    @JackE

How can I get my hands on that night little service manual you got there? I wish Acer made that publically available like Lenovo and HP do.
  • JackE
    These are general thermal module greasing instructions that can be found by googling similar models. For example,  https://www.manualslib.com/manual/441661/Acer-Travelmate-P653-M.html?page=150 Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mateo620
    My google search skills are not up to par.