Acer Nitro 5 Overheating, help!(Nitro 5 AN515-52

2»

Answers

• BogdanX904
    BogdanX904 Member Posts: 51 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Repasting is not the solution to this, and I want to keep the warranty. However I don't care about this a lot anymore, as I can undervolt it a little and reduce the settings and get to max 90 degrees, but there's another problem I have(it's in another post of mine). I have to admit, its cooling system is trash overall.
  • ash997
    ash997 Member Posts: 2 New User
    This happens when the processor uses turbo boost to hit 4.0GHz. Its not dangerous as such (your laptop will shut down if it hits dangerous temps) but can reduce life span of the product. However if u r using it for games that are not that processor intensive but rather gpu intensive you can switch off turbo boost and it should run fine.(google to see how to turn off turbo boost)
  • BogdanX904
    ash997 said:
    This happens when the processor uses turbo boost to hit 4.0GHz. Its not dangerous as such (your laptop will shut down if it hits dangerous temps) but can reduce life span of the product. However if u r using it for games that are not that processor intensive but rather gpu intensive you can switch off turbo boost and it should run fine.(google to see how to turn off turbo boost)
    I think that the laptop freezes because of that, which is the annoying problem. I LITERALLY CAN'T PLAY ANYTHING on a gaming laptop. Never buying acer again, as this is my first gaming laptop(I had a potato PC), I'm very disappointed. I can't play anything because of it.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    @BogdanX904 we have advised you to take it to an Acer Care Center and get it repasted, I don't know why you are so adamant that it isn't a paste problem, it might not be but there have been a lot of issues with factory pasting so my advice is give it a try. many of us including me have enjoyed 100's of hours of trouble free gaming. Please remember we are not employees of Acer so I would vent your frustrations to Acer Customer Care

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• BogdanX904
    andylb said:
    @BogdanX904 we have advised you to take it to an Acer Care Center and get it repasted, I don't know why you are so adamant that it isn't a paste problem, it might not be but there have been a lot of issues with factory pasting so my advice is give it a try. many of us including me have enjoyed 100's of hours of trouble free gaming. Please remember we are not employees of Acer so I would vent your frustrations to Acer Customer Care
    1. I can't take it to the Acer Care Center because it's too far away from where I live in my country. I will take it to the retailer and probably they'll send it there but there are chances they won't.
    2. I don't have the possibility to take it to acer care yet, not these days. Until August I will sure take it but it's kinda frustrating because it's such a hassle, and not because of overheating necessarily. The hard drive came broken out of factory, that's very disappointing. Wrong choice to get this laptop even if I knew about the overheating issues honestly.
  • BogdanX904
    Ok, I got it figured out mostly. What thermal paste do you recommend? I was thinking of Arctic Silver 5.
  • andylb
    Ok, I got it figured out mostly. What thermal paste do you recommend? I was thinking of Arctic Silver 5.
    That's good, I prefer Gizzly Kryonaut myself but they are both good 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• BogdanX904
    andylb said:
    Thanks. A question tho. I have a strange freeze bug that occurs while playing games and when it's getting hot. It makes a buzzing noise continuously. Happened while using Ps and watching a video once and casually as well, once tho. Is it the overheating or the HDD, because whenever it froze it was at high temps. It gets at 98C, maybe even 100C and then it crashes? I am unsure.
  • andylb
    andylb said:
    Thanks. A question tho. I have a strange freeze bug that occurs while playing games and when it's getting hot. It makes a buzzing noise continuously. Happened while using Ps and watching a video once and casually as well, once tho. Is it the overheating or the HDD, because whenever it froze it was at high temps. It gets at 98C, maybe even 100C and then it crashes? I am unsure.
    It's the high temperature, let's get that temperature down and all should be well

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• BogdanX904
    andylb said:
    andylb said:
    It's the high temperature, let's get that temperature down and all should be well
    Ok, thanks :D 
  • BogdanX904
    So I was watching a livestream and my laptop randomly froze. I turned it off and on(by holding the power button for 10 seconds) and I got this while it was turning on
    Is the freezing problem caused by overheating or an HDD problem?
  • andylb
    That is fixing some corrupt files 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Gonosz
    Gonosz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi,

I have the exact same symptoms on my Nitro 5 AN515-54 (screen freeze and buzzing sound under heavy load). Although I limited my CPU to 99% quite early so it didn't really went above 80 °C for CPU and GPU since this March (I bought the laptop in February). What do you guys think? Thermal paste even though the not so high temps?
  • MaTtIcOmP
    MaTtIcOmP Member Posts: 1 New User
    Ayonhi5 said:
    Try clearing your fan vents . Works like magic !
    how do i do that??

• BogdanX904
    MaTtIcOmP said:
    Ayonhi5 said:
    Try clearing your fan vents . Works like magic !
    how do i do that??

Compressed air, google a tutorial, although it would be best if you opened it up. It really does help to clean the fans (and the fan heatsinks/vents) every few months.
  • BogdanX904
    Update: I repasted with Arctic AC-MX 4 and re seated the heatsink. Make sure to tighten the heatsink screws enough (be careful not to do it too much and break the CPU die). I keep the undervolt and the trick is keeping the temperatures under 70C for my CPU so it doesn't freeze. I limited the CPU to 2.3GHz and the temperatures mostly stay in the high 60s, sometimes 70 and the issue didn't happen to me since. That means your CPU will be quite a bit slower but it's better than nothing. Also max fans really make a difference. A cooling pad probably won't, I wouldn't recommend it. Clean the fans every few months with some compressed air.