i5 7300HQ performance during gaming

dajkalaszlo
dajkalaszlo Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi
Well to start my situation somewhere, 2 weeks ago I repasted my CPU with nt-h1 thermal paste. Now I can use my i5 7300HQ in full capacity.
With a cool room temperature of about 22 degrees, My CPU can maintain full speed (100% capacity) with turbo boost.
Oe thing I noticed in CPUID HWMonitor though. During games the cores usually stay around 3092 Mghz, and not 3492 Mghz.
Does anyone know the reason behind this? It would be nice if it could be max frequency.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    This is normal to run ~90% rated frequency for most major laptop manufacturers to reduce potential for heat issues in small laptop enclosures.   Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• dajkalaszlo
    I see thank you. Is there any way to set it to max. I mean in the powermanagement I set it to 100 %. Since my temps are totally ok now i would love to use its max capacity.
  • JackE
    Overclocking/overvolting. But definitely not recommended for a measley 10% speed increase that you probably won't even notice but risk overheating and throttling issues. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    The i5-7300HQ has multipliers of 31, 32, 33, and 34. Meaning, your 4-core maximum turbo is 3.1GHz, and your maximum single-core turbo is 3.4GHz. In games and most applications, you will see 3.1GHz because all 4 cores are working with a multiplier of 31.
  • dajkalaszlo
    Thanks for the answer guys. MMm so in game it doesnt use the multipliers 32, 33 and 34. I am not experienced with these. But it sounds like a pity. haha. I mean I guess it could add some to the performance right?
  • JackE
    >>> I mean I guess it could add some to the performance right?>>>

Yeah, maybe add 10% performance and 10% risk for a premature CPU failure.  How can you pass up that 2 for 1 opportunity!! =) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dajkalaszlo
    Just asking. They should indicate the cap more obviously.