Cannot enable the graphics card on Predator G9-593 without the display freezing

Cresifix
Cresifix Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello All,

I bought a Predator G9-593 a little over a year ago and the display currently freezes any time the GTX 1070 graphics card is enabled (as in I can still hear videos playing/blindly interact with programs, but the display just shows a static frame). This started around December 12th when I installed the new Geforce GTX 1070 driver (417.35). After that, any game I went into crashed, and I went into the device manager and noticed that the 1070 had an error icon next to it. I tried disabling the graphics card from the device manager and restarting, but then the card simply didn't show up. After that, I updated windows, at which point the laptop started freezing seconds after getting to the login screen. I tried updating the bios, updating windows, rolling back windows updates, and I even handed it off to a professional computer repair company, but my display still freezes upon doing anything that enables the graphics card. I have tried uninstalling all graphics drivers and then reinstalling the latest nvidia drivers, but when I run the nvidia installer, I can have the device manager open and see that the second the GTX 1070 pops up, the screen freezes and I have to uninstall the graphics drivers again.

I have also tried formatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows, but the same issue occurs. I have never dropped the laptop, and in fact it had been sitting on my desk completely still for ~4 months when this started happening. This seems like its a hardware issue, but I want to verify that before replacing this computer.

Thanks

P.S. The warranty info says that this model's warranty lasts 2 years, but when I look it up with my SIND it says it expired 1 year after I bought the laptop, is the 2 years just an extended warranty?

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    Have u tried do uninstall the driver completely and downgrade it (clean install) regarding the warranty u would have to contact acer support for that info

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,734 Pathfinder
    Cresifix said:
    Hello All,

I bought a Predator G9-593 a little over a year ago and the display currently freezes any time the GTX 1070 graphics card is enabled (as in I can still hear videos playing/blindly interact with programs, but the display just shows a static frame). This started around December 12th when I installed the new Geforce GTX 1070 driver (417.35). After that, any game I went into crashed, and I went into the device manager and noticed that the 1070 had an error icon next to it. I tried disabling the graphics card from the device manager and restarting, but then the card simply didn't show up. After that, I updated windows, at which point the laptop started freezing seconds after getting to the login screen. I tried updating the bios, updating windows, rolling back windows updates, and I even handed it off to a professional computer repair company, but my display still freezes upon doing anything that enables the graphics card. I have tried uninstalling all graphics drivers and then reinstalling the latest nvidia drivers, but when I run the nvidia installer, I can have the device manager open and see that the second the GTX 1070 pops up, the screen freezes and I have to uninstall the graphics drivers again.

I have also tried formatting my hard drive and reinstalling windows, but the same issue occurs. I have never dropped the laptop, and in fact it had been sitting on my desk completely still for ~4 months when this started happening. This seems like its a hardware issue, but I want to verify that before replacing this computer.

Thanks

P.S. The warranty info says that this model's warranty lasts 2 years, but when I look it up with my SIND it says it expired 1 year after I bought the laptop, is the 2 years just an extended warranty?
    Go to device manager, right click on the nvidia card and go to properties. It should be showing the error detail there. What does that error say?
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • Cresifix
    Cresifix Member Posts: 2 New User
    xapim said:
    Have u tried do uninstall the driver completely and downgrade it (clean install) regarding the warranty u would have to contact acer support for that info
    Yep. uninstalled all my graphics drivers and installed the driver right before the one where I started having problems, still freezes as soon as the graphics card is activated.
    sri369 said:
    Cresifix said:
    Hello All,

Thanks

Go to device manager, right click on the nvidia card and go to properties. It should be showing the error detail there. What does that error say?
    I haven't been able to see it for a few weeks without triggering the freeze again, but I am 99.9% certain it was Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)” 
    I looked in dxdiag back when I first started having problems and it had the same error. I was also googling around for the solution for that error, but the ones I tried (disabling the graphics card and re scanning in the device manager, installing bios update, installing drivers), didn't work

Also, the problem seems to be getting worse. Windows keeps trying to automatically activate the card every once and a while, which is just an inconvenience since I can just restart in safe mode and run the uninstaller. But just a couple of minutes ago it wouldn't boot up at all after freezing (keyboard lights came on, but no fans and nothing on screen), and I had to hit the battery reset button to get it boot. eck.