Acer R5-471T Problems

DaveLaptop
DaveLaptop Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Following the most recent Windows Update I have been having a large number of problems with my Acer R5-471T.

In particular none of the USB ports work, Bluetooth no longer seems to be activated, the touchscreen no longer works and the laptop doesn't wake-up from sleep.

I ensured all drivers were updated, with no luck.  I then rolled-back with no luck.  I then reconfirmed all the drivers.  Finally I re-installed a clean version of WIndows 10 - but still none of the above hardware works.

Any suggestions on where to start?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Well, we can try to force a v1.12 re-install or an even earlier version. Basically, you run the EXE file again till you get the error message. Then leave the error message running, eg don't close it. Then use File Explorer to search for, edit and copy a temporary subdirectory that the EXE  program created for the installation. Close the error message. Then run another file in the copied directory to re-install v1.12. A bit convoluted and high risk of a total black-screen brick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>>Finally I re-installed a clean version of WIndows 10 >>>

How did you clean install Win10? From the hidden ACER-flavored Win10 recovery partition? Or a Microsoft generic Win10 version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

From the hidden partition - I would have tried something generic next, but with no DVD or functioning USB it isn't easy to find a way to boot to something else.
  • JackE
    If you reset the machine from inside Windows, you might want to try re-doing it from outside Windows using the ALT+F10 recovery method shown in the video below. If this doesn't work to restore BT, USB & touchscreen function, then a serious hardware issue is likely. And because so many functions seem affected, a mainboard failure or BIOS chip/firmware corruption would be suspect. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

Thank-you, I have now tried a restore both ways with no joy.  I think I am coming to the same conclusion about this being a significant hardware failure.
  • JackE
    Sorry. But it seems odd to me that all these failures would happen right after a single Win10update. Were any firmware changes applied about the same time? Or do you recall any other unusual events that might've happened? Maybe a storm, power failure? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

I don't recall anything like that.  I would say I 'm not certain they all happened at once - I only noticed the touch screen was out after troubleshooting for a while.  I only noticed after installing the Windows Feature Upgrade that my USB keyboard and Bluetooth mouse were not working.  The other problems I discovered as I was working to recover the system.

If it is a firmware challenge I guess I could confirm by updating to the latest firmware - but I had been avoiding that as it had worked withthe firmware previously (the current BIOS version is 1.12 - I note they have reased up to 1.14.)
  • JackE
    Hold off on any firmware updates. They're a last resort if all else fails due to the danger of bricking or even more disabling side effects. Let's try this. Google to download and install iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up and correct any errant software drivers that might've gotten in there due to Win10's heavy-handed update process. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

No luck unfortunately - it did find a few drivers to update, but none that looked crucial.  Following the updates - no change.
  • JackE
    DaveLaptop>>>I had been avoiding that as it had worked withthe firmware previously (the current BIOS version is 1.12 - I note they have reased up to 1.14>>>

I totally agree. So, if it were mine, I'd try another total factory reset using the ALT+F10 method. If still no joy, then you'd have little to lose by trying v1.14. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

Jack E/NJ - Many thanks for all your help.

I did as you suggested, but with no joy - so tried the Firmware Update to BIOS 1.14.  

This failed (with Error: Invalid firmware image).  It then rolls back OK (to BIOS 1.12) - but the problems still persist.  I took a look for that error and didn't find any assistance on this website.  
  • JackE
    How much does v1.13 like your machine? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6397?b=1  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

Exactly the same error.  I attempted to redo 1.12 the same way, but it detects its the same version so just ceases installation.
  • JackE
    Did v1.12 act OK before the most recent Windows Update? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

Yeah, I wasn't having any laptop issues and then at the time of the update more or less everything stopped working.
  • JackE
    DaveLaptop>>>I have now tried a restore both ways with no joy.  I think I am coming to the same conclusion about this being a significant hardware failure.>>>

Well, if you erased everything for a full factory-reset then, yes, a mainboard hardware failure or a firmware corruption is likely. Thus I suggest re-trying a full factory reset. If still no joy, then you have to decide if you want to try to re-install v1.12 from scratch with a low chance of success and a high risk of bricking. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• DaveLaptop

Tinkerer

Thanks again.  I have done the full factory reset again, no joy.  I'm not sure how I would even a re-install from scratch of 1.12, since I don't have any USB, DVD, or other media working.  I would think I need some form of external device to make that happen?  (I did find on this site a number of tutorials on how to do a re-install from a USB drive.)
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Well, we can try to force a v1.12 re-install or an even earlier version. Basically, you run the EXE file again till you get the error message. Then leave the error message running, eg don't close it. Then use File Explorer to search for, edit and copy a temporary subdirectory that the EXE  program created for the installation. Close the error message. Then run another file in the copied directory to re-install v1.12. A bit convoluted and high risk of a total black-screen brick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ