Why is my brand new Nitro 5's battery life atrocious!

Options
KuuNL
KuuNL Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Nitro 5 with a 1050 Ti , 8GB Ram and a i7-8750H Processor.
The Battery life on this thing is horrible and it shows that a 100% charge is only good for not even 2 hours, with battery saver ON. 

This problem is consistent and is ruining, whats supposed to be a new laptop, is there anyway I can help this.
I have tried to reset the battery, the problem still persists

Best Answer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    Of the processors available in the Nitro 5 lineup the 8750H is the least battery friendly. Meaning, it has a higher TDP than some other processors while still using the same standard battery that is shared across the line-up (48Wh if memory serves). The tradeoff is the power, as it's 6-cores are very powerful and it's probably the fastest chip in the line-up.

There are several things you can do to reduce power consumption and increase battery life;

Turn off the keyboard backlight and lower the brightness of the display.

In Windows 10 Power Options change your Advanced Power Settings such as Intel Graphics Power Plan to Maximum Battery Life and Link State Power Management to Maximum Battery.

A more advanced method of saving power involves installing Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and undervolting the CPU, effectively lowering the TDP of the CPU and reducing it's power draw. This works well and is applies across all power states regardless of battery or AC power. In Intel XTU you can also disable features like Turbo Boost which may reduce power usage at the cost of processing frequency.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    @KuuNL
    I understand you tried the power drain. But try once again as mentioned below
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    If still have issue than uninstall the battery driver and restart the unit again.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • KuuNL
    KuuNL Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Nope, sorry ive tried both of these , and the problem still persists

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    Of the processors available in the Nitro 5 lineup the 8750H is the least battery friendly. Meaning, it has a higher TDP than some other processors while still using the same standard battery that is shared across the line-up (48Wh if memory serves). The tradeoff is the power, as it's 6-cores are very powerful and it's probably the fastest chip in the line-up.

There are several things you can do to reduce power consumption and increase battery life;

Turn off the keyboard backlight and lower the brightness of the display.

In Windows 10 Power Options change your Advanced Power Settings such as Intel Graphics Power Plan to Maximum Battery Life and Link State Power Management to Maximum Battery.

A more advanced method of saving power involves installing Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and undervolting the CPU, effectively lowering the TDP of the CPU and reducing it's power draw. This works well and is applies across all power states regardless of battery or AC power. In Intel XTU you can also disable features like Turbo Boost which may reduce power usage at the cost of processing frequency.