ACER NItro 5 AN515-42 AMD displays 512mb DDR4 instead of 4gb DDR4 in AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 graphics

Options
chabilita03
chabilita03 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
 I find it odd since it says in the info that it has 4GB DDR4 in its integrated Graphics Chipset
(AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics). I found this when i checked the AMD radeon settings and it only displays 512mb of RAM. 

do i need to be worried?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The iGPU doesn't have its own RAM. It uses your system's RAM for VRAM. This isn't a problem, as the iGPU will use more of the system's RAM when it is needed. I think 512mb is the amount it takes when it is idle. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The iGPU doesn't have its own RAM. It uses your system's RAM for VRAM. This isn't a problem, as the iGPU will use more of the system's RAM when it is needed. I think 512mb is the amount it takes when it is idle. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• chabilita03
    chabilita03 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    thanks for the tips. i thought i was overthinking it.

i just have a follow up question though... you mentioned "DO NOT update the BOIS to version 1.22" for Nitro 5 users... the only updated version or atleast im aware of is 1.11. what version would you recommend?