Acer Swift 3 touchpad unresponsive after sleep

Marsibar
Marsibar Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The trackpad is just unresponsive if my laptop has been closed, then I go to use it again.. but I can press the trackpad pause button(F7) it works again..I'd rather not have to do this. Anyone have any idea what's going on? It's practically brand new. A week old

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Press the WINkey + Rkey. Enter 'main.cpl'. Click hardware tab. Select HID-compliant mouse or trackpad. Click properties. Click 'change settings' box. Click power management tab. Uncheck allow computer to turn off device to save power. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMillar
    MMillar Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hi I've found the exact same issue in my new Acer Swift 3 the 'power management' tab doesn't appear to exist. Did you find a fix for this? 
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager. Click Mice & other pointing device folder. One of the mice will be the touchpad. Right click properties. Click power management tab. Uncheck the box to allow laptop to turn the device off to save power. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMillar

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Click Mice & other pointing device folder. One of the mice will be the touchpad. Right click properties. Click power management tab. Uncheck the box to allow laptop to turn the device off to save power. Jack E/NJ
    In the Mice and other pointing devices tab, the only option is 'HID-compliant mouse' when I click properties on this, there is no power management tab. 
  • JackE
    Go back to Device Manager Mice & other pointing devices folder. Now try to turn the touchpad on again with the FN+F7 toggle key combo. How many mice in the folder do you see now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMillar

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    Just the one 'HID-Compliant mouse' scanning for hardware changes does not change this. I am considering returning this device as there appears to have been complaints about this for several months now. 
  • JackE
    OK. Check Device Manager's Human Interface Device folder. Do you see a touchpad reference in there. If not, then yes, I agree that you shuld return it to the vendor/seller for a refund or exchange ASAP before the seller's RMA return period ends  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMillar

Tinkerer

In the human interface devices there is a 'HID-compliant touch pad' however if I check properties I do not see a power management tab. 
  • JackE
    OK. If it's the microsoft 2006 version, just uninstall it. Exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Then open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Scroll down and make sure the box for fast startup is unchecked. Then shut down. Turn it back on and test again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMillar

Tinkerer

Tried this and had no luck 
  • JackE
    OK. The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is a full ALT+F10 coldboot factory reset. Shut the machine completely off. Then turn it back on again and immediatly press and hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear as in the video below. Since this is a new machine, you should do an 'erase everything' reset. If this re-set fails to resolve the touchpad problem, then return the machine as defective to the seller ASAP for a refund or replacment. Do this quickly before the seller's RMA returns policy expires because ACER warranty repairs will take longer and include shipping charges. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMillar

Tinkerer

Even after this, if the driver needs an update putting out, then it could still be a software issue that will be fixed in the future. Due to the fact that there has been other similar complaints I am reluctant to say it is a hardware issue especially when the track pad works after a delay or a reset. 
  • JackE
    Quick, check Device Manager driver properties again for a power management tab before an auto update has a chance to screw things up again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ