Does Acer A715-71G-55EB support m.2 SSD?

ChrisB123
ChrisB123 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Can't seem to find any documentation for this on this specific 55EB model, and I don't want to open it to look as it will void my warranty...and I kinda want to find out before I go out and buy an SSD and tell a PC shop to do it for me only to have them tell me that they can't.

Also, I guess there is not judging from the size, but I will ask anyway...is there space for more than 1 HDD/SSD in this model?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    You can add an m.2 SSD if you already have a 2.5" HDD or SSD. Or you can add a 2.5" SSD/HDD if you already have an m.2 SSD. Just take out one screw and lift the HDD panel to see if it has a 2.5" drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    It should supports both m.2 nvme speeds and m.2 SATA3 speeds. But nvmes 512GB or larger are notoriously finicky bleeding edge type stuff, particularly the 970s. If it was mine, I'd probably try an nvme but wouldn't pay much of a premium for it and definitely would get it from a vendor with a good return policy.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,999 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @ChrisB123
    Storage Subsystem 
    • Hard disk drive / Solid state drive 
     Supports 7mm and 9.5mm co-lay 
     Supports M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay) 
     HDD up to 2TB, SSD up to 512GB
    Without opening it you cannot max the size of M2.SSD

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• JackE
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    You can add an m.2 SSD if you already have a 2.5" HDD or SSD. Or you can add a 2.5" SSD/HDD if you already have an m.2 SSD. Just take out one screw and lift the HDD panel to see if it has a 2.5" drive. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisB123
    That sounds great - thanks, Jack!

Is there any way to know without opening it first if it's B or M-key? Also, is it only regular m.2 or does it also support NVMe?
  • ChrisB123
    edited January 2019
    Sorry for doublepost spamming, but I also forgot to ask if there's any way to know the max size (both physical and storage-wise) of m.2 SSD it supports without opening it?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    It should supports both m.2 nvme speeds and m.2 SATA3 speeds. But nvmes 512GB or larger are notoriously finicky bleeding edge type stuff, particularly the 970s. If it was mine, I'd probably try an nvme but wouldn't pay much of a premium for it and definitely would get it from a vendor with a good return policy.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,999 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @ChrisB123
    Storage Subsystem 
    • Hard disk drive / Solid state drive 
     Supports 7mm and 9.5mm co-lay 
     Supports M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay) 
     HDD up to 2TB, SSD up to 512GB
    Without opening it you cannot max the size of M2.SSD

• ChrisB123
    I'm definitely gonna look into getting one, then. Thanks for your answers.