Acer nitro 5 ryzen 5 poor performance and cpu stuck at 2.0 ghz problem

Ayonhi5
Ayonhi5 Member Posts: 37 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have the acer nitro 5 ryzen 5 laptop with rx560x 4gb ddr5 gpu.
Recently i have been facing an issue with the laptop .
While playing games , the cpu wont go past 2.0 ghz and the fps in game is very poor (10-12) in wildlands in low setting . The fps would spike to 50-55 but for a very short duration .
For tencent gaming buddy , the fps wont even go past 40  as i have to play in open gl+ mode . In open gl mode the game crashes while throwing nades . Downgraded my bios to 1.10 as 1.11 felt buggy. 
My windows is updated to 1809 .
And gpu drivers updated as per availability .
Does someone face similar kind of issue with this laptop ?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,477 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I'm puzzled why the show more restore points box wasn't available unless system protection was disabled. Please see if system protection was turned on in the create a restore point box. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    (1) About how long ago did you notice this?
    (2) Make sure your power plan is still set to hi or max performance.
    (3) Make sure battery is near 100% charged and charger plugged in before you start heavy loads

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ayonhi5
    About 2 days ago . I dont know what changed . Previously i used to play nfs playback in ultra smoothly . From the past 2 days the game is lagging like hell , although every power settings are set to max . The game would run smooth for about 5 secs and the fps would decrease to 10-12 for about 20 secs and then go up again . Same thing happens with all other games as well . My cpu never goes past 2.0 ghz while playing games . But in idle it reaches 2.9 -3.3 ghz . The cpu z benchmark score for my ryzen 5 was 1208 for multi thread and 298 for single thread . 
    I haave found no solution to this problem and the laptop is in no state of playing games .
  • Ayonhi5
    I installed adrenaline drivers yesterday and the performance seemed to increase at first , but eventually the games where still lagging with the fps drop problems.
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Next. Checkmark box show more restore points if visible. Select automatic Win10update restore point with the date stamp this issue started. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Make sure NitroSense is running, you could be thermal throttling without the fans spinning up properly
  • Ayonhi5
    Nitrosence is running properly , still games are lagging
  • JackE
    Ayonhi5 Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in left pane. Click 'system restore' button. Next. Checkmark box show more restore points if visible. Select automatic Win10update restore point with the date stamp this issue started. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ayonhi5
    My cpu will not go beyond 2.0 ghz during playing games and thats the biggest issue am facing . Rip acer , rip amd 
  • JackE
    Ayonhi5  Have you tried the restore point or not? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Skyflakes
    Skyflakes Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

You can also try to do a battery reset.  The one with the pinhole and you have to use a tiny paperclip.

Shutdown the system.
    Remove all connected wires, even A/C power.
    Turn laptop over.
    Press pinhole for 5 seconds.
    Wait for 5 minutes.
    Turn on computer.

I don't know if this helps.  Just let me know if it does or does not.
    Thanks.
  • Ayonhi5
    Jack , it seems like i didnt find any previous restore point . And the one i had was very recent . 

• JackE
    Ayonhi5 >>>>About 2 days ago . I dont know what changed .>>>t seems like i didnt find any previous restore point . And the one i had was very recent . >>>

How recent!!!!! Like 2 days ago??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ayonhi5
    Jack , i tried the restore option but there was no restore point available. There was no option of 'next' as you mentioned .
  • JackE
    >>>Jack , it seems like i didnt find any previous restore point . And the one i had was very recent . >>>
    Then what did you mean by this? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ayonhi5
    Jack i found one restore point that was one day old , but when i tried it again yesterday it was not there . The restore point tab was empty .

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    I'm puzzled why the show more restore points box wasn't available unless system protection was disabled. Please see if system protection was turned on in the create a restore point box. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SHOURYA143
    SHOURYA143 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Bro i get this laptop 2 days ago and i try to play pubg mobile but its very lagging and crash also other games are lagging very much 
    I wondering that i get a duplicate laptop
    Because i read  a lot of review and then buy but this is worst i seen 

• JackE
    Uninstall, don't just disable, any non-Microsoft antivirus or antimalware programs like AVG, MalwareBytes, etc. Then change you Control Panel power plan from power saver or balanced mode to performance mode. Then BEFORE you start pubg or other heavy gaming loads, battery must be near 100% charge and power adapter plugged. If it doesn't help, then open TaskManager to see what applications are using a lot of CPU/GPU percent resources and if the HDD is mostly near 100% usage.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• EconWolf1011
    EconWolf1011 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yes, same issues.

This computer has a very very lame feature in which the cpu slows down to 2 ghz when the temperature reaches only 75 degrees C, its very lame because 75 degrees is nowhere near hot enough for a gaming laptop to slow down, even with fan working correctly and cool boost, any semi-demanding games makes the temp rise above 75 degrees.

Why Acer decided this for this computer is beyond me, this pc underperforms a lot. Anyone knows a solution to this? From what I've read I can't find a solution since the feature comes in the bios and no way to edit it.

• dotexe
    dotexe Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

You can ALSO try installing the Chipset drivers of AMD, I had this issue at it solve it, First you have to use CPU-Z and then go to the part of motherboard, then see th chipset of the motherboard(typicaly FP5) then download them and install them , I hope it solves you issue as it solved mine