Spin 7 Battery Question

bmf808
bmf808 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I just purchased a used Acer Spin 7 in nearly mint condition. I love everything about it except for something strange with the battery remaining percentage.

When it's charged to 100% the battery will show that I have 5 hours and 20 minutes left on the charge. 2 minutes later, it will jump to over 7 hours remaining. Then, as I start doing normal tasks (using Word, surfing in Chrome, etc) it might show only 2 hours and 30 minutes left on the battery. Mind you, all of this is happening in a span of 10 minutes. from the battery will move up and down. Is this normal for this unit? I've never had a laptop do this.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @bmf808
    MAy i have the model number .
    For example SP714-XX-XXXX
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • bmf808

Tinkerer

@Jack22 the model# is SP714-51-M024

I should have also mentioned that I tried resetting the battery twice with the pinhole underneath.
  • Jack22
    @bmf808
    Ok. But make sure press and hold the paper clip in the pin hole for 40 sec and make sure you hear a small click sound when you press and hold the paper clip in the pin hole. Than try charging it. But still if you have problem than try to update the battery drivers by going to device manager.

• bmf808

Tinkerer

@Jack22

Thank you. I didn't hold it down for that long previously. I was only holding it for approximately 10 seconds. I will try that first. I will also try updating the drivers again. Much appreciated.
  • Jack22
    @bmf808
    Welcome. try it and let us know :)
  • bmf808

Tinkerer

@Jack22

I tried the reset method you recommended and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. As I was typing this, it went from 3 hours and 20 minutes remaining on a 100% charge to 8 hours and 43 minutes left on a 99% charge remaining. I will need to time just how long the battery is lasting. I know it's certainly more than a few hours, but I'm unsure of the exact number. Do you think it points to a battery replacement?
  • bmf808

Tinkerer

I appreciate the help on this one. I have tried every method mentioned in the community, but my battery reads are still all over the map. For a short 2 minute period, my battery read that I had 10 hours and 45 minutes left on the charge at 100% I had never seen it go that high. It then moved back to just over 5 hours remaining. I work too much to watch how quickly it actually takes for the battery to die from start to finish. I'm open to other suggestions, including replacing the battery.