Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

SW5-014 cannot install Wi-Fi driver after fresh install of Windows

Hi,

Happy New Year!

I purchased an SW5-014 a while ago and it's been great for catching up with emails and revision, browsing, streaming and more while on the move.  I don't use it too often, but it is invaluable when I do.  I usually update Windows, Office and any drivers and apps before I travel.

I have done something daft after it noticeably slowed down.  I performed a fresh install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit build 1809, wiping all the Acer drivers and software.  My thinking was that I could reinstall the Wi-Fi driver then manually install other drivers and software using Acer downloads and Windows Update (I've performed similar on other machines).  However, when I try to install the Broadcom Wireless LAN driver (HAI) v5.93.103.23 from the Acer downloads page, I get the following dialogue: "The operating system is not supported.  The software will not be installed.  Setup will now exit".

Any ideas where I can find the appropriate driver(s) or a recovery disk/download?  Ethernet isn't an option and although the Bluetooth driver installs OK, I cannot activate it.

Many thanks,

Alun

Comments

• BetterRedBetterRed Posts: 3Member New User
    edited January 1
    Out of desperation, I downloaded an offline driver pack and also tried manually installing the apparently correct Wi-Fi drivers, going through all the unknown devices in Device Manager.  The problem with 3rd party sites being you don't know what you are getting.

Anyway, I haven't made any progress.  Do I have an Acer paperweight?  :'(

Alun
  • ConradVonMaur0156ConradVonMaur0156 Posts: 11Member New User
    Good luck mate, it seems no one can help you out here, i have a similar problem but i need to reformat and downgrade it to windows 7 this junk to make it usable, i made a mistake buying this *****, 2gram Intel Celeron N3350, running on a windows 10 64bit, my pentium 4 1gig ram pc is still alive and its 10x faster than this ***** netbook.
  • BetterRedBetterRed Posts: 3Member New User
    Good luck mate, it seems no one can help you out here, i have a similar problem but i need to reformat and downgrade it to windows 7 this junk to make it usable, i made a mistake buying this *****, 2gram Intel Celeron N3350, running on a windows 10 64bit, my pentium 4 1gig ram pc is still alive and its 10x faster than this ***** netbook.
    It's not been a bad machine for me when travelling, as long as all I want to do is use Office and browse the Internet.  Funnily enough, it was much faster with a clean install of Windows 10 version 1809, but I couldn't connect to the Internet or use it as a tablet.

I spoke to Acer support, who cannot provide the recovery disks on a USB, so it's gone back to them for be reset (at a cost).

It's the first modern(ish) PC I've owned where I couldn't perform a clean install Windows and get working using Windows update and the vendor downloads page.  That'll teach me!