Acer Aspire E1-531G Intel Core i5-3380M or i5-3210M? 16GB RAM?

Options
MrKalisto
MrKalisto Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi! I have laptop Acer Aspire E1-531G. I would like to replace the processor on i5-3380M or i5-3210M. Which one to choose? Is i5-3380M going to work and it is profitable to buy it? I still wanted to ask if I would download 12-16GB RAM, although the system shows max 8GB. Some user wrote that he had 16GB and walked without any problems.

(For a better image, open it in a new card)

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Technically both CPUs should be compatible, unfortunately there is chance that the BIOS might not support them.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• MrKalisto
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Technically both CPUs should be compatible, unfortunately there is chance that the BIOS might not support them.
    Can I check what processors can support the BIOS or is it just after montage?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    The only way to find out is to try with the processor. I looked around and found out there are some e1-531Gs with the i5-3380m or i5-3210M, but I don't know if it is running a modified BIOS or the original one. I would say that it very possible that the BIOS supports these CPUs. Also you can look around the forum/s, maybe there are users who have attempted to do the same upgrade.
    I forgot to write that your device supports up to 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 memory up to 1333MHz according to Acer, but I don't see why it wouldn't take 2x8GB.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• MrKalisto
    Options
    ven98 said:
    The only way to find out is to try with the processor. I looked around and found out there are some e1-531Gs with the i5-3380m or i5-3210M, but I don't know if it is running a modified BIOS or the original one. I would say that it very possible that the BIOS supports these CPUs. Also you can look around the forum/s, maybe there are users who have attempted to do the same upgrade.
    I forgot to write that your device supports up to 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 memory up to 1333MHz according to Acer, but I don't see why it wouldn't take 2x8GB.

I will try to buy 8GB RAM and see what will happen.