Is there a way to control the fans of the Acer Aspire ATC - 710 - UR61?

fogchazer
fogchazer Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I recently installed fans into my pc to help with its cooling, since I also put a graphics card in. Unfortunately, I can't seem to figure out how to control the fans, as they won't be recognized in programs like speedfan at all. 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    Which fan types are they (two, three or four pin)? Where did you plug them in?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fogchazer
    I plugged them into the 4 pin System fan header on my motherboard. They are four pin PWM fans. I chose them because they were PWM and I could modulate their speed and set up a heating curve. 
  • billsey
    Try just one to see if the fan speed changes to match motherboard temperatures. It might be in your splitters, I'm not sure what they will do to PWM.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fogchazer
    There is a setting in my BIOS that does control my fans. The thing is I would like to set up a custom fan curve, as to lessen the noise. When my system is idling and doing simple tasks the fans don't need to be on, yet they are on, which is unnecessary noise. The bios does control my fans, and I can see the rpm changing according to temperature. I just want to modify it so that the system runs quieter. 
  • billsey
    Not going to be easy, since they are PWM. If they were straight analog you could likely build a circuit to drop the speed, but with PWM you'd need something like an Arduino in there to read the signal, shorten the pulse and send it back out.
  • fogchazer
    Well, I do have a raspberry pi 2, and I know it will be harder to use when compared to an Arduino, but is it possible that I could make a program to control my fans?
  • billsey
    It wouldn't be easy with a pi, they don't have easily accessed IO pins. Realistically you might find that just putting a filter before the fan will dampen the noise enough instead of changing the fan speed curve.