Acer predator Helios 500 overheating

Awroxar
Awroxar Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey guys,lately I had some problems with my laptop.It shuts down after playing even for like 30 minutes.I know it´s because of the temperatures.While gaming, my CPU gets around 95° and above while plugged in,fans on max with CoolBoost and no other applications turned on.While idle, I get around 50°+ with fans on max.I´ve read some forums and people get temperatures below 45° with their fans almost turned off...I´ve read that Undervolting can help but i´m not technical type, I just play games so I´m afraid of doing it.Does anybody have similar problem?

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,731 Pathfinder
    Follow links in my signature and see if that helps in undervolting both CPU and GPU. I tried to be as detailed as possible. Let us know if you need any more help.
    A word of advice: put fans on auto and cool boost on. Putting them on max isn't a good idea, esp for extended periods.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • Awroxar
    sri369 said:
    Follow links in my signature and see if that helps in undervolting both CPU and GPU. I tried to be as detailed as possible. Let us know if you need any more help.
    A word of advice: put fans on auto and cool boost on. Putting them on max isn't a good idea, esp for extended periods.
    Thanks I´ll test it tomorrow, I dont have time to do it today and I will let you know.Also I had my fans on auto but then my laptop would turn off super fast,I was dealing with this problem when I bought the laptop and guys on this forum told me it could be taht chipset was overheating or something and not the CPU so if my fans were on auto they would not start.
  • sri369
    Awroxar said:
    sri369 said:
    Thanks I´ll test it tomorrow, I dont have time to do it today and I will let you know.Also I had my fans on auto but then my laptop would turn off super fast,I was dealing with this problem when I bought the laptop and guys on this forum told me it could be taht chipset was overheating or something and not the CPU so if my fans were on auto they would not start.
    This means your laptop is getting overheated. Try undervolting. My laptop temps got lowered by over 20 degrees with optimizing windows, and undervolting both CPU and GPU. Should work for you too. I do not use Predator Sense and my fans are pretty much on managed by windows.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    It's very unusual to hear that a H500 is overheating because it has the best laptop cooling system around :) i dunno why but im smelling a bad thermal paste application i would send it to warranty to do a proper repaste if possible with the paste you choose/buy as this is not normal at all on a H500

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Awroxar
    sri369 said:
    Well I´ve used the 1st guide in your signature and i´m not sure if I did everything right so I´ll post here my screens.For some reason I couldn´t change the Non Turbo Ratio it will only allow me to set it to 22 max, also should I use some different values since I have newer laptop than the one you made this guide for?
  • sri369
    edited December 2018
    HIGH PERFORMANCE = NOT ADVISABLE
    Create your own power profile. High performance plan of windows always puts CPU at 100% irrespective of usage.

Install Park Control, enable park settings into power settings, and then you can uninstall this, or close. You can then tweak the park settings under power settings.

I didn't change the non turbo ratio; it is at the default.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • Awroxar
    sri369 said:
    Create your own power profile. High performance plan of windows always puts CPU at 100% irrespective of usage.

Install Park Control, enable park settings into power settings, and then you can uninstall this, or close. You can then tweak the park settings under power settings.

sri369 said:

I already tweaked it and uninstalled Park Control,

These are my temperatures while playing overwatch for hour,it only dropped when I turned ow off for 5 minutes and this is after the tweaks with my fans on max.
  • Awroxar
    xapim said:
    It's very unusual to hear that a H500 is overheating because it has the best laptop cooling system around :) i dunno why but im smelling a bad thermal paste application i would send it to warranty to do a proper repaste if possible with the paste you choose/buy as this is not normal at all on a H500
    Well I kinda want to avoid that, I can´t send my laptop for repaste because I can´t function without it and I´ve read it can take even 2 months, and I´m afraid of doing it myself because it would loose the warranty.
  • sri369
    Awroxar said:
    These are my temperatures while playing overwatch for hour,it only dropped when I turned ow off for 5 minutes and this is after the tweaks with my fans on max.
    Did you undervolt?
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • Awroxar
    sri369 said:
    Awroxar said:
    Did you undervolt?
    I thought that undervolting is done by that program Throttlestop or how do I do it?
  • sri369
    Awroxar said:
    sri369 said:
    Awroxar said:
    Did you undervolt?
    I thought that undervolting is done by that program Throttlestop or how do I do it?
    Refer to the links in my signature on how to do that.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    With these high temperatures at idle I doubt that undervolting will make the CPU run below 95C under load. As @xapim mentioned the high temperatures are most likely caused by bad thermal paste application.

I suggest you to contact Acer support and have your device repasted by them or if you are located in the US and are confident enough to repaste yourself I advice you to do so with a high quality thermal paste like MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut(that is the paste I use on all devices).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• sri369
    edited December 2018
    ven98 said:
    With these high temperatures at idle I doubt that undervolting will make the CPU run below 95C under load.
    Ven, that's his gaming temps, not idle. He said he was playing overwatch.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • Awroxar
    ven98 said:
    With these high temperatures at idle I doubt that undervolting will make the CPU run below 95C under load. As @xapim mentioned the high temperatures are most likely caused by bad thermal paste application.

I suggest you to contact Acer support and have your device repasted by them or if you are located in the US and are confident enough to repaste yourself I advice you to do so with a high quality thermal paste like MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut(that is the paste I use on all devices).
    When idle I get around 50°+ with max fans and sadly I live in Europe so idk how long would it take for Acer to repaste it for me.
  • Awroxar
    Also I´m sorry i´m keeping you busy on this day, happy new year!
  • ven98
    edited December 2018
    When I said that the tempereatures are high at idle I meant the 50C that he gets on max fan profile not the 95C that he gets on overwatch.

As I mentioned in my previous post these high temps are not something that can be fixed by undervolting.

It will take up to 7 working days, not including the time shipping takes. Knowing Acer they will most likely replace the motherboard even if that is not the problem, so it might take around 10 working days or more if you are unlucky.
    Awroxar said:
    Also I´m sorry i´m keeping you busy on this day, happy new year!
    No worries, I am happy to help. Happy new year!
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• sri369
    ven98 said:
    When I said that the tempereatures are high at idle I meant the 50C that he gets on max fan profile not the 95C that he gets on overwatch.

As I mentioned in my previous post these high temps are not something that can be fixed by undervolting.
    Then true... idle is more like 35-40 for CPU and GPU.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • Awroxar
    sri369 said:
    ven98 said:

Then true... idle is more like 35-40 for CPU and GPU.
    Well I followed your 2nd guide for MSI Afterburner and I don´t see any difference, I guess tweeks aren´t enough and I will have to do the repaste.If I send my laptop to Acer do I have to backup files or they won´t touch my software at all?
  • ven98
    You have to back up your files. Even if they don't do anything with the software they will still reset windows.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Awroxar
    ven98 said:
    You have to back up your files. Even if they don't do anything with the software they will still reset windows.
    Ok thanks, and thank you all guys who were trying to help me :)