Has anyone been able to get Win10 version 1809 running on an S7-392?

SkyHog
SkyHog Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The latest Windows 10 OS version 1809 (the October 2018 Update) will not install on my S7-392.  This beautiful S7-392 has been solid as a rock for over five years now, but apparently Microsoft will not enable the newest Win10 on this system due to a graphics display incompatibility. 
I installed all the original Acer drivers years ago, but they have been continually updated through Windows Update since then (as recommended by Acer who also says "many drivers are integrated in Windows" and "use Windows Update").   

The Intel Graphics Driver currently installed on the S7-392 is ver 20.19.15.5058 which was just released by Intel in Aug 2018.  The Intel Driver & Support Assistant program identifies this driver on my machine as their latest up-to-date version, but their website also says "Intel will be supplying new DCH Drivers for its products beginning in November 2018".  It is unclear when, if ever, anything newer will be released by Intel, because they also say "Microsoft will begin distributing Windows DCH drivers for its products beginning in November 2018".  

I had little trouble getting my desktop updated to the newest Win10, which also has an Intel HD4000 Graphics adapter.  Has anyone been able to get Win10 version 1809 running on an S7-392 laptop ?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    >>>Microsoft will not enable the newest Win10 on this system due to a graphics display incompatibility.  >>>

Consider yourself lucky. Due to possible mainboard revisions since you acquired your S7, I would not rely too much on what other S7 users' 1809 experience has been. If it were mine, I'd wait/hope for future updates to emerge from Intel, Microsoft and ACER. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• SkyHog
    SkyHog Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Today I did another manual "check for updates" on my S7-392, and after weeks of trying, there it was....   Win10 1809, along with a few other miscellaneous updates.   So I installed the new Win10, along with other updates, on my S7-392 and everything seems to be working like a champ.  There are some nice new features in this Windows version that I have noticed on my desktop, so it's great to have that upgrade with my laptop too. 

After the update, I checked the Graphics Drivers and properties tech details, and it appears that everything is unchanged from the previous Win10 version, 1803, so I have to assume the problem was never with Intel drivers, nor Acer, but with Microsoft.  Not sure, about that, but this 1809 version has certainly been a very troublesome rollout for Microsoft.   

In any case, my trusty beautiful S7-392 looks like it is still keeping up with latest software, and may be going strong for a good while longer.   
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>In any case, my trusty beautiful S7-392 looks like it is still keeping up with latest software, and may be going strong for a good while longer.>>>>   

Better knock on wood saying things like that out loud. Next major update is just around the corner.  :)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ