PXE-E61 Error Acer Aspire X1301

Options
Tymora
Tymora Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 22 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire X1301 Desktop that recently started showing me: "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable."  All cables are tight and the poor computer has not been dropped or damaged in any way.  I have tried all the suggestions I am getting and it will not read my CD/DVD drive, so don't know how to fix the error.  Please help me, as I have very important documents on it and would love to get back to work again.  I am an author who has books published online and am being told to get my next draft in to the people handling my books but I can't because although I do have an HP laptop, all my work is on the Acer.  Please Please Please help.

Comments

• Tymora
    Options
    PS: I am on a very fixed income, so going to a store to have it fixed is not possible.
  • diablo_bih
    diablo_bih Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Sometimes it's just that cable from hard disk is loose, try connecting it properly, CD/DVD drive too. Also, enter in BIOS, and see if it recognize your hard drive at all. If everything is alright and it still can't enter into windows, then make bootable usb, and repair it like that.
  • Tymora
    Options
    We opened it up last night and all wires are connected snug as a bug in a rug..It shows the hard drive but for some reason it is saying to check the cable after the media test fails.  I will see if I can find a spare usb that is blank and format it, so that I can make a bootable one and try that.  Hopefully it works.  Thank you 
  • diablo_bih
    Options
    Tymora said:
    We opened it up last night and all wires are connected snug as a bug in a rug..It shows the hard drive but for some reason it is saying to check the cable after the media test fails.  I will see if I can find a spare usb that is blank and format it, so that I can make a bootable one and try that.  Hopefully it works.  Thank you 
    Is hard disk first on the list of bootable drives? Maybe it was set to something else, put it first. Enter into BIOS and there you can set it btw.
  • Tymora
    Options
    Sadly it does nothing when I insert the usb drive other than gets me "Change AMD to DMI!!" and that's as far as I can get.  I'm at a loss on what to do to get my poor desktop to work again.
  • Tymora
    Options
    It is set to read the Hard drive first and then the NVIDIA Boot Drive
  • diablo_bih
    Options
    When you want to boot from usb, you sometimes need to put USB as first bootable drive in bios. If you get that amd to dmi, then try resetting CMOS, you can look that up online if you don't know how to do it.
  • Tymora
    Options
    I did all that and it seems that I am destined to take it in to be repaired.