Getting factory OverClocking options back after doing a fresh install of Windows in predator g9-793

HStark
HStark Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2022 in Predator Laptops
I didn't like the factory RAID-0, so disabled it once I got my Predator 17 g9-793. The disk is wiped in the process, so I did a fresh Windows 10 Pro install with my licence. Everything was fine, I got all the drivers and useful OEM software such as PredatorSense(which allow me to set shortcut keys, change keyboard LED color, and most importantly, use the factory overclock options). However, the OC options are gone after my fresh install. I realized it after 2 month, contacted Acer support who told me that "there are certain OS connections between PredatorSense and Windows that are only present in Acer's factory windows installation". The only solution, according to Acer support, was to pay around $40 (USD, forgot include shipping or not) and get a "System restore USB"(Yes, no system restore disks are included with this $1600 laptop). He told me that they would not provide me a free system restore image because my PC is out of "30 day software warranty". This is ridiculous so I decided it wasn't worth it.

So I got bored recently and decided looking into overclocking my laptop, which reminded me of the non-functional OEM OC. I did a quick search on the general topic of Acer Predator Sense not working, and realized that in a few images and videos I saw documenting the registry for Predator Sense of other peoples' different models of Predators their model number is predator g*-***, while mine didn't have the predator part(it is simply g*-***).

Then I added "predator" before the string "Model_Name_1st" under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\OEM\PredatorSense. Now instead of "g9-793" it says "predator g9-793".
Restarted the software, and OEM OC options are back.

It's just a dumb registry key and Acer wanted to charge me $40 for it. Hope that this can help anyone who did a fresh Windows installation on their Predator computer. 

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Jameswalter
    Jameswalter Member Posts: 71 Troubleshooter

BIOS settings and the OS are entirely independent. You can reinstall without affecting the overclock at all, as long as the overclock is configured from the bios and not from a windows utility. If you have installation media, this is how it should be done AFTER backing up any important files.