Is the predator hwlios 500 with the 144hz screen display any good?

Options
Kas2188
Kas2188 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I heard it has a low contrast ratio...does it mean that colours will be dull and not be very vivid...can someone explain to me in detail what the display is like

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,629 Trailblazer
    Options
    Where did you hear it has low contrast? Visual judgments are very subjective. You can refer to this link https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/553485/dave2d-reviews-the-predator-helios-500-8-core-ryzen-laptop-it-s-a-beast from some actual user experiences. Send PMs to the users if you want more specific info. You can also  google "ph517-61" "144hz" "reviews" with the quotes. You'll probably get more detailed judgments on this and other factors from actual users that are at least as valid as you'll probably find here.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kas2188
    edited December 2018
    Options
    It's the Intel i7 model not the amd ryzen
  • JackE
    Options
    What is the full Helios 500 model number you're interested in? Is it the ph517-51? Where/what link did you hear it had low contrast? Contrast settings have a very wide range in this model also. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    AMD or intel/nvidia the screen is still the same.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Kas2188
    Options
    JackE said:
    What is the full Helios 500 model number you're interested in? Is it the ph517-51? Where/what link did you hear it had low contrast? Contrast settings have a very wide range in this model also. Jack E/NJ
    I read the reviews on notebook check

• Kas2188
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The model I'll be getting is the PH517-51-72nu
  • JackE
    Options
    Check your sellers/vendors return policy & time limit. If you don't like it, simply return it for an exchange or refund.  Only you can make this judgment. You should NOT rely on judgments by others on issues as subjective as visual qualities & appeal. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ATR42
    ATR42 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    It’s a good screen. If anything I feel like I’m constantly turning down the brightness. Not much blb or IPS glow, very even panel. contrast is more than adequate for gaming, it looks great. I love 144hz refresh rate. Running at a low resolution of 1080p, it should have a few years of great frame rates. There is a dell R17 something, that runs at 120hz and the display is 1440p (2k). The 17” HP omen is also a good runner up, but has a slightly older processor. 

Helios 500 . PH517-51-72NU . i7 8750H . GTX1070 . Evo 970 nvme

• JackE
    Options
     ATR42  Thans for report. Could you also say anything about contrast appearing to be low with dull colors that aren't vivid? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ATR42
    ATR42 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Unfortunately I don’t have quantifiable information to give you. I have not calibrated the display with my datacolor spider but I feel like the contrast and colors are vivid. Can’t remark about accuracy. It’s IPS so it’s not going to generate contrast like a VA panel. Most importantly, it’s a good performer. I don’t feel like the colors or contrast on the Helios are any better or worse than my desktop IPS panel (dell AW3418DW). The only way to quantify this would be to use a calibrator. 

Of all the factors that go into a purchase of this kind I wouldn’t let the display hold you back on this model. 

Helios 500 . PH517-51-72NU . i7 8750H . GTX1070 . Evo 970 nvme

• JackE
    Options
    Thanks again ATR42

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ