Speed up HDD PH500?

mankvl
mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So I got a new Nvme ssd and changed sata mode to ahci because its samsung 970 evo 500 gb, they do only work in ahci otr smth like that, I have a spare ssd sata 128GB and would like to use it to speed up the hdd, is it possible? I remember out of the box it had raid and intel manager of some sort, can I have os on samsung ssd in ahci and use hdd +ssd to make some optane cashing or only specific drives can do that? 

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Having intel optane or any type of caching(SSHD) won't increase the write speeds. In other words copy and pasting speeds will stay the same. Only read speed is increased, because this is how caching works. If you load a game for first time it will take around the same time to load the game as having a hdd alone, but when you run it a second time it will load it much much faster and 3rd time even faster. 

I don't know if it is possible to use a non optane SSD for optane caching.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Optane caching works only with intel optane memory. The only way to speed up the HDD is to set up the 128GB SSD and the HDD in RAID 0 array, but that will be totally worthless, as it will result in 256GB partition, which will be slightly faster than normal HDD speeds.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• mankvl
    ven98 said:
    Optane caching works only with intel optane memory. The only way to speed up the HDD is to set up the 128GB SSD and the HDD in RAID 0 array, but that will be totally worthless, as it will result in 256GB partition, which will be slightly faster than normal HDD speeds.
    I was more talking about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQY_Q1pD1hc but now my win are in ahci mode if I change sata mode to optaine premium memory it wont boot, any major improvements in speeds with dedicated 64GB from ssd for HDD cache? Now I get 80-100 MB/s reads thats max it can handle... next update must be a 1TB sata ssd, any good value options I should take a look? 
  • ven98
    I think new SSDs with QLC flash are comming up, which will be cheaper and have more storage capacity, but will also be slower and have shorter lifespan compared to TLC.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    But bare in mind that to setup raid 0 u need 2 identical hdd/ssd with exactly same size and speed if possible and as @ven98 said optane will only work with intel optane memory which will make u loose one nvme slot to install it and the max its 64gb as far as i know it works as cache memory for your sata hdd/ssd to make it faster basically in theory it can transform a normal hdd in a fast ssd by sacrificing  one (or the only one if the laptop only has one) m.2/nvme slot

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• mankvl
    PH500 have 2 m.2 slots, that's the whole reason I would like to do this. Now I have Samsung EVO 970 500GB as main OS drive, and 1 GB HDD. 1 m.2 slot is free and I still have the stock ssd that came with laptop. I could use it for HDD cache, but first need to reinstall windows with sata mode set to optane premium... And according to that video if ssd is 128 GB 64 will be partitioned as HDD cache and other 64 will be usable as a normal drive space, but I wanted to know is anyone tried this, will HDD speed increase to all file copy/pase. My main gripe now is that copying files from HDD to SSD is slow but.
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Having intel optane or any type of caching(SSHD) won't increase the write speeds. In other words copy and pasting speeds will stay the same. Only read speed is increased, because this is how caching works. If you load a game for first time it will take around the same time to load the game as having a hdd alone, but when you run it a second time it will load it much much faster and 3rd time even faster. 

I don't know if it is possible to use a non optane SSD for optane caching.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system