last update Win 10 Dec 2018 -settings will not open, my wireless disappeared

Options
Jhampa
Jhampa Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
My Acer 1 (light laptop) new this year stopped having settings open and even my wireless does not appear, even though it is in the device manager.  I searched the web for 2 hours looking for solution.  Win 10 was totally up to date as of Dec 1st, so it is the last update that did this.  I cannot even see what it is as settings will not open, just flashes up and disappears.  I looked for a manual way to open settings or look at updates, cannot find any command for that.  Suggestions appreciated

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Options
    Jhampa said:
    My Acer 1 (light laptop) new this year stopped having settings open and even my wireless does not appear, even though it is in the device manager.  I searched the web for 2 hours looking for solution.  Win 10 was totally up to date as of Dec 1st, so it is the last update that did this.  I cannot even see what it is as settings will not open, just flashes up and disappears.  I looked for a manual way to open settings or look at updates, cannot find any command for that.  Suggestions appreciated
    If you are looking to enable Wi-Fi on your device. There are alternate options. Try this Press and hold Windows + R > type " control " and click on network and sharing center. Now check and enable Wi-Fi from here. 

As you tried multiple steps with no luck in getting settings. Try to access the device in safe mode. 

to access safe mode. Turn off the device and while powering on Press and hold Alt and keep tapping F10. Now click on Troubleshoot > advance options > startup settings > click restart > press the number next to safe mode to access safe mode

Test the device in safe mode, if you are able to access it then the operating system is working fine. Its just the services are not working properly in the regular boot.

Once confirmed that the settings option works in safe mode simply restart the device to login to regular mode. 

Now, try clean boot. Press and hold Windows + R and type MSCONFIG > click on services on the top and to the bottom left side check the box that shows Hide all microsoft services. Now click on disable all to the right and apply. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer