SSD for Boot

coursecorrect72
coursecorrect72 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have an Acer Spin-1 32gb model and wanted to move my boot drive to a ssd, but there's no socket on my motherboard (as shown in images) to insert the ssd. Is the ssd install function omitted in my lower end model? or am I just missing the socket outright?

Best Answer

• Mateo620
    Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Got it! I checked out that review and that 128GB eMMC model does look like it has the M.2 slot. Unfortunately it seems your specific model didn't come with the optional m.2 port needed to upgrade the SSD.

It seems kinda backwards that the 32GB model doesn't have the port when it is more likely to run low on storage space yet the 128GB model does. 

You could try and hunt down that model but that's totally up to you to decide if it's woewo the trouble.

Answers

• Mateo620
    edited December 2018
    It appears your specific model does not have the M.2 slot you'd need to be able to upgrade the SSD. Unless i am mistaken, it appears the M.2 slot of your model might be on the other side we cannot see because from what i can tell that looks like the screw post the M.2 screw screws into. It just appears to be on the opposite side that we can see.

Typically you would see the M.2 SSD in the following location (upper left-hand corner). This is for the Acer Swift 1 SF114-32 and may NOT represent exactly what your model looks like. Can you provide another picture of the entire motherboard as shown here? What is your exact model number?

• coursecorrect72
    coursecorrect72 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Mateo620 said:
    It appears your specific model does not have the M.2 slot you'd need to be able to upgrade the SSD. Unless i am mistaken, it appears the M.2 slot of your model might be on the other side we cannot see because from what i can tell that looks like the screw post the M.2 screw screws into. It just appears to be on the opposite side that we can see.

Typically you would see the M.2 SSD in the following location (upper left-hand corner). This is for the Acer Swift 1 SF114-32 and may NOT represent exactly what your model looks like. Can you provide another picture of the entire motherboard as shown here? What is your exact model number?

Model Number: Acer Spin 1 SP111-32N-C88M. I noticed the same screw post and was surprised to find the M.2 socket missing. if you look at the following review, https://www.ultrabookreview.com/18578-acer-spin-1-review/, his 128gig model's motherboard has a M.2 socket. (the image below is my motherboard)
  • Mateo620
    Answer ✓
    Got it! I checked out that review and that 128GB eMMC model does look like it has the M.2 slot. Unfortunately it seems your specific model didn't come with the optional m.2 port needed to upgrade the SSD.

It seems kinda backwards that the 32GB model doesn't have the port when it is more likely to run low on storage space yet the 128GB model does. 

You could try and hunt down that model but that's totally up to you to decide if it's woewo the trouble.