Liazee Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Specs :
I7-7700 HQ 2,80Ghz , 3,60 with Turboboost
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB and Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 
500GB SSD NVME M.2 Samsung 970 Evo , 1TB HDD WD
16GB RAM Kingston HyperX DDR4

I am a CS student and i probably play video games 1-2 hours a day ( weekends 4hours probably : and obviously when i play CPU and GPU usages are way higher ) , and  i use it around 8 hours a day ( probably even more , it depends ) . and most of the time  RAM usage is always around 50% and CPU around 10% to 20% .
the PC is 50% of the times plugged in .
And i bought it Summer 2018 , so lets say 4-6 months ago . and i did some upgrades on it : from no SSD to 500gb SSD ; and from 8GB to 16GB RAM .

Idk if this is enough information , but my goal is :  will it last for 5 years ( 2023 - 2024 lol that looks far  ) ? 
And 
if i add and extra 16GB RAM and i will basically have 32 GB will that help with the life span ?

Thanks

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    The CPU, GPU, RAM and motherboard shouldn't have problems surviving for 5 years, but you can't really tell for sure what might get faulty during that time period. It is likely that the battery won't hold for 5 years and when it degrades to a certain point you won't be able to use the laptop without the charger. If you want to keep the same thermal performance over that time make sure to repaste the CPU and GPU after the warranty is out and then repaste around every 2 years. Use a high quality thermal compound like MX-4  or thermal grizzly kryonaut.

The amount of RAM does not affect the lifespan.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!