Hard Drive keeps getting accessed (Acer Aspire A315 i5-8250U)

JayOliver
JayOliver Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
My hard drive, with the computer at idle, would switch on the hard drive every minute or so. 

I disabled pretty much everything. All the startup, even Win Defender.  All the notifications, updates, reports, etc. are off. Disabled Norton Virus that came with it. 
Uninstalled Google Chrome also.

While playing a video game, the HD would get accessed and I'd get a half to 1 second lag, where everything freeze. Incredibly annoying and can't be good for the HD's life. 

Brand new, so not many programs installed.  Please help.  And thanks for any input. 

Acer Aspire A315  i5-8250U  
Optane memory 16g. 
12gb  RAM, 1 TB HD.

Answers

• JayOliver
    And the drive on the Config Screen says SSD but it's a regular 1 TB SATA mechanical hard drive.  The whole laptop was only $350 new + $53 for 8gb RAM upgrade, so it's def. not a 1 TB SSD. Plus I took it out to make sure the brackets weren't on too tight (which sometimes = bad for it). 
  • JayOliver
    Anyone have any idea?  

I just bought another hard disk to clone and see if it was the HD that's defective. But it's not. Same lag, but now...the had drive is CONSTANTLY being accessed....the sound you'd hear when it's defragmenting.  I turned defrag off, so it's not it.

Reset the BIOS and had all the updates done. Still nothing, same problem.

Boots up, loads programs, loads sites, etc. much faster than my Acer i3, but this lag is unbearable.
  • aquinas80
    aquinas80 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2019
    I have the same problem. Acer Aspire  A515-51G-57KB. It was bought in Slovakia in November 2018, as completely new. I updated Bios and Windows drivers to current ones and HDD is still spinning down and up every few seconds.