A717-72G-700J Upgrade Questions

Xeroconform
Xeroconform Member Posts: 4 New User
I just got an A717-72G-700J for Christmas, and I was looking to do some upgrades to it.  I want to make sure the information I've found is correct, and that the parts I'm looking at are compatible.

1) Can this laptop fully use DDR4-2666?  I wanted to upgrade to 32GB of low latency (CAS 15) HyperX Impact. I opened the panel on mine, and found that it had 2400 SK Hynix. I've seen a few people that say their laptops came with 2666 stock, and Intel's ARK says that the 8750H is compatible with that speed. I would like to know if this laptop could actually utilize the higher speed, or would it just run it at 2400?

2) Can this laptop use use a 1TB NVMe drive?  Again, I've seen mixed information on this model. Some sources say it will with the latest BIOS update, and others say it is limited to 512GB NVMe. Crucial list a 1TB MX500 as compatible, but this is not an NVMe drive. I would like to upgrade to the best and largest drive possible, but need a firm answer on whether or not this laptop has any NVMe limitations.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance with these upgrade questions. Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓

This model supports DDR4 2400/2666 SODIMM memory.
    It has 2 DDR4 SODIMM slot that Supports maximum memory size of 32GB.
    supports DIMM voltage 1.2V and DIMM package 260-pin.
    Some of the officially supported memory modules are listed below :

This model has M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay) or Optane (16G/32G)
    Supports : SATA hard disk up to 2TB and  Solid-State Drive up to 512 GB.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Xeroconform
    Answer ✓
    I answered my own question.  I installed my 970 Pro this morning, and can 100% say that yes, a 1TB NVMe drive will work in the a717-72g-700J.  I assume this extends to the full a717-72G lineup, an possibly further.

Answers

• Sharanji
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓

This model supports DDR4 2400/2666 SODIMM memory.
    It has 2 DDR4 SODIMM slot that Supports maximum memory size of 32GB.
    supports DIMM voltage 1.2V and DIMM package 260-pin.
    Some of the officially supported memory modules are listed below :

This model has M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay) or Optane (16G/32G)
    Supports : SATA hard disk up to 2TB and  Solid-State Drive up to 512 GB.

• Xeroconform
    Thank you for your quick reply!  This answers my question about RAM wonderfully, but I'm still confused about the NVMe drive.  Am I correct in thinking that these are the lists of Acer replacement parts?  That means that it would be limited to certain vendors, and what was available around the laptops time of release.   Judging by the 2.5" HDD list, I can see that a lot of valid drives are left out.  Any SATA drive with a 7mm height should work, but there are only six drives listed.  Likewise with the M.2 list, I want to think that any 2280 drive would work.  I know that people have installed Samsung 960 and 970 NVMes, but I don't see them on the list.  If anyone else has additional experience with this model, or further information that could help, please share.  I'd like to do the NVMe upgrade first, while the drive is still uncluttered, but I'm not in a big rush.
  • Sharanji
    Xeroconform 
    Other drives listed by other vendors should work. The above listed are some of the memory & SSD officially listed by Acer.
    You can search this forum with your model number and you will find user who have successfully upgrade with memory & SSD from other vendors.

• Xeroconform
    I've gone ahead and gambled on a 1TB 970 Pro NVMe. I will post my results after the package arrives, and I've attempted/completed the swap.
  • Xeroconform
    Answer ✓
    I answered my own question.  I installed my 970 Pro this morning, and can 100% say that yes, a 1TB NVMe drive will work in the a717-72g-700J.  I assume this extends to the full a717-72G lineup, an possibly further.
  • PorcupineThumbs
    PorcupineThumbs Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi! I know this is significantly later than the last post on this thread, but I was wondering if the 1 TB SSD continued to work well with your laptop? I am considering the purchase of a larger SSD, but am reading the same things as far as 512 GB being the largest that will work. 
  • jdoon5261
    jdoon5261 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    Is the NVMe drive replaceable? Where is it accessed from?  I upgraded my memory and put a 1Tb 2.5" SSD in, but I would like to replace the original 256Gb m.2 NVMe drive (INTEL SSDPEKKW256G8) with a 2Tb part.