Triton 700 Linux Install PT715-51-71W9 SSD not found

Options
ZerkerEOD
ZerkerEOD Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, I am trying to install linux on my system and I cannot find the SSD's when I go to install. I bought the version with one 512SSD and swapped it for a 1TB Samsung 960 EVO and a 240GB SSD PNY. I am trying to install RHEL. I have disabled secure boot. I have disabled the drive (uninstalled it from windows) that I want to install it on. I have disabled fastboot in windows 10. The only drive my installation is finding the USB drive that has the installation media on it. I have done everything. I don't have a RAID array set up both drives are separate and I never created one. This is probably the last ACER I ever buy since I wasn't aware they make such a great high dollar laptop thats locked down in every way... Any one have any suggestions so that I can dual boot RHEL?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,480 Trailblazer
    Options
    Can you see the original 512GB OK? The larger Samsung nvmes have issues. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZerkerEOD
    Options
    No, I put that in my desktop and I am deployed, so I have no access to the original drive. I haven't had any issues with these drives once I got them up and running. The issue is coming from linux not seeing either drive. I am trying to install it on the 256GB PNY drive. I was reading that windows fastboot keeps the drives mounted so that linux wouldn't see them, so I disabled that, and I even disabled and uninstalled the PNY from the windows partition through the device manager. I have disabled secure boot. Both drives are beeing seen by the BIOS and windows 10.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The issue is coming from linux not seeing either drive. >>>

Fastboot doesn't matter though I prefer slow cold boot. Re-enable the new drives in Win10. Then press WINkey and Rkey and enter 'diskmgmt.msc' to open the GUI WinDisk tool. The new drives should GPT-partitioned. The PNY must be unallocated in the tool for Linux & its swap. The Linux installation or live stick must also be GPT-partitioned. Ubuntu example alongside Win10. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZerkerEOD
    Options
    This didn't work. I installed the drive again. Made sure it was allocated space. It was set to MBR, so I set it to GPT, and it still wasn't seen during the installation. I really think that it has something to do with the Triton 700 and locked down RAID in BIOS and not allowing it to be changed to AHCI. Which is the stupidest thing I have ever seen
  • vanadium
    vanadium Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    Options
    You won't be able to install linux unless you mod the bios to enable AHCI option.
  • ZerkerEOD
    Options
    I have seen other on other threads claim that they were able to do it without modding the bios just by changing secure boot and turning it off.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>This didn't work. I installed the drive again. Made sure it was allocated space>>>

UNallocated space in Windows disk management! It cannot be allocated Windows space. It must be GPT-partitioned but NOT formatted. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZerkerEOD
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>This didn't work. I installed the drive again. Made sure it was allocated space>>>

UNallocated space in Windows disk management! It cannot be allocated Windows space. It must be GPT-partitioned but NOT formatted. Jack E/NJ
    Correct, I have it set as unallocated and GPT partitioned. After your last comment I verified what I had and changed anything to make it match what you said. It still isn't showing up. I may just have to bite the bullet and look into modding the BIOS which I didn't want to do, but I plan on using Linux for a development environment. So, I may need to do it either way.
  • JackE
    Options
    Trying disabling the VTX and VTD in the Advanced BIOS section. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZerkerEOD
    Options
    Disabling didn't work either. Still no drives detected during installation.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I don't have a RAID array set up both drives are separate>>>
    >>>I really think that it has something to do with the Triton 700 and locked down RAID in BIOS and not allowing it to be changed to AHCI.>>>

This apparent dichotomy caught my eye today.
    (1) Was it factory raided or not?
    (2) If factory raided, what was the original 512GB drive?
    (3) What was original 512GB raided with?

The procedure to break the raid array usually isn't as simple as physically separating the raided hardware.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/494015/#Comment_494015

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AlpineTom
    AlpineTom Member Posts: 58 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Have you checked the SATA settings in the BIOS? I had a similar problem not being able to install Linux on the SSD of my Helios, and it turned that SATA was set to "RST with Optane". I changed that to AHCI and the drive became visible. I did have to reinstall Windows, though, because it couldn't see its boot media anymore, but I was able to install Linux afterwards without a problem.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks AlpineTom
    I think the problem with this particular laptop is that the SATA mode was and still is stubbornly RAIDed. Optane option apparently isn't there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZerkerEOD
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>I don't have a RAID array set up both drives are separate>>>
    >>>I really think that it has something to do with the Triton 700 and locked down RAID in BIOS and not allowing it to be changed to AHCI.>>>

This apparent dichotomy caught my eye today.
    (1) Was it factory raided or not?
    (2) If factory raided, what was the original 512GB drive?
    (3) What was original 512GB raided with?

The procedure to break the raid array usually isn't as simple as physically separating the raided hardware.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/494015/#Comment_494015

Jack E/NJ

I bought the version with one 512GB m2 SSD. Thinking that it wouldn't be RAIDed. But the BIOS is still set to RAID. I don't know how or why they would RAID a single drive, so I am assuming that it isn't factory RAIDed. When I swapped the drives I had to download Intel's Rapid Storage Technology software in order to get my laptop from crashing every 5-10 minutes. But I have not set up a RAID its just that the BIOS is stuck on RAID and will not allow changing to AHCI unless I hook up a clip and programmer (which I have) but I don't have a second laptop to pull the BIOS and attempt to modify/get someone from online to modify it for me.

According to the link you posted (good find by the way) I was not RAIDed by the factory. The iRST shows both drives separately and no RAID is listed there.

@AlpineTom - That options isn't available for me to change. It stays Greyed out, seems to be that Acer did not want people changing that option on the Triton 700 at all. The only way to change it is to have a BIOS modder change it, but since the BIOS chip is write protected, you have to hook up a programmer to it directly on the MOBO and pull the BIOS off since it contains the key that is needed to be written. After that they modder can mod the bios and as long as the key isn't changed then it can be written back to the chip. 

@JackE - You are correct that option is not changeable for me.
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    Options
    >>>I bought the version with one 512GB m2 SSD. Thinking that it wouldn't be RAIDed. But the BIOS is still set to RAID. I don't know how or why they would RAID a single drive, so I am assuming that it isn't factory RAIDed.>>>

Was the 512GB m.2 double-sided?  The Toshiba drive in the example RAIDED BIOS above is double-sided and can be configured as 2 physically independent drives. That is, if one side fails, the other side can still function ---- in theory.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ZerkerEOD
    Options
    Not double sided that I know of. It seemed to be a cheap no name brand SSD and I haven't been able to find any information on it.
  • Djama
    Djama Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello ! Anyone found a solution ? I'm in the same situation, and I'm still not ready to accept that I payed 2000 dollars on this computer but can't install linux on it....
    If anyone managed to install linux in dual boot please share your solution.

Thx !
  • ZerkerEOD
    Options
    Djama said:
    Hello ! Anyone found a solution ? I'm in the same situation, and I'm still not ready to accept that I payed 2000 dollars on this computer but can't install linux on it....
    If anyone managed to install linux in dual boot please share your solution.

Thx !
    I just sold mine and bought a new Razer. Acer locks down the system in a very annoying way. For Linux I used virtual box and VMware the system has impressive specs for ram but it's crazy how Acer is so against the user.