Helios 300 G3-572 not at its full potential for gaming .

Liazee
Liazee Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello , so i have predator helios 300 G3-572 with these specs

I7-7700 HQ 2,80Ghz , 3,60 with Turboboost
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB and Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 
500GB SSD , 1TB HDD ( SSD contains OS and a couple of games and a couple of programs i use daily and HDD contains the rest. )
16GB RAM

I bought the pc without windows , i had to install it myself . I am pretty sure i got most of the drivers for the necessary stuff but i probably missed something extra ?

So basically , my pc is pretty powerfull for games at least when they re not in ULTRA quality .
But the thing is , i play game at LOW quality and yet i get pretty normal fps for example :

League of Legends , everything at medium i am getting 100 fps constantly most of the time , 160 if not doing anything and worst case scenario is 80 when things go crazy . I know that kind of fps is enough to play but i kind of feel that my pc should get better fps for such a game.
RainbowSixSiege for example when most of the things are set to LOW or VeryLow Quality , i am getting 70fps and sometimes it gets laggy and doesnt feel smooth.

The reasons i thought about are :

SSD and HDD splitting is not optimal .
Nvidia settings are probably not correct , and i think that the integrated Intel graphics card is preventing me from having better fps .
RAM is in single Channel , but that shouldnt be a big factor ? ( because i have 1 16Gb stick )
CPU overheating sometimes when i play games ( over 85 ) .
Or its just that my pc is not that good.
But the thing is that i checked some previews on the same pc with almost same specs , and there is a big difference in performance and obviously mine is worse !

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    I have the very exact parts on my G3-572, and all drivers are available on acer site: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7310?b=1&pn=NH.Q2CSV.003

Only difference between mine and yours is that yours is 1x16GB and mine is 2x8GB.

Check out the links in my signature to optimize CPU and GPU in terms of undervolting and over clocking GPU. Also optimize windows too.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Having two ram modules working in dual channel instead of a single module can give a difference in performance and can increase fps when the CPU is the bottleneck, which I think in your case is. On a 60Hz screen you don't need an fps higher than 60, so increasing the graphics quality will put more load on the GPU, thus removing the CPU bottleneck.

If the CPU temperature doesn't go above 90C, I don't think there will be any throttling, but as anything over 85C is not normal in my opinion an undervolt is recommended.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Liazee

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    I have the very exact parts on my G3-572, and all drivers are available on acer site: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7310?b=1&pn=NH.Q2CSV.003

Only difference between mine and yours is that yours is 1x16GB and mine is 2x8GB.

Check out the links in my signature to optimize CPU and GPU in terms of undervolting and over clocking GPU. Also optimize windows too.

I am encountering a really annoying but stupid problem , throttleStop doesnt want to open .
    I extracted it and then opened the .exe and this error comes up saying : 
    the code execution cannot proceed because MSVRC120.dll was not found 
    and same for mfc120u.dll . And it says that i should reinstall it , and i did and from different regions just to make sure , yet it doesnt work  !
    ( i should have figured this out soon ) 

As for the Power Plan Setting , so i installed Park Control and i did all of that u showed in your post . but i might be dumb but these here in the pics
    the 3 titles dont show , even after installing the park control . 

I am really sorry if i am being a bit annoying . u dont need to tell me how if its simple stuff , because i didnt really take my time .
    I am still trying to fix it ! because it seems convincing that undervolting should help .

But
    What if i have a cooler under my PC , will that replace all the undervolting thingy ? ( because i think i have one ) 

Thanks again . 

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can use intel xtu for undervolting if throttlestop doesn't work.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Liazee

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    ven98 said:
    You can use intel xtu for undervolting if throttlestop doesn't work.
    before i use it , i7-7700HQ  is not  valid for XTU . ( check lower half of the page )
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-?product=66427
    or it doesnt matter ? 

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Liazee said:
    As for the Power Plan Setting , so i installed Park Control and i did all of that u showed in your post . but i might be dumb but these here in the pics
    the 3 titles dont show , even after installing the park control . 

I am really sorry if i am being a bit annoying . u dont need to tell me how if its simple stuff , because i didnt really take my time .
    I am still trying to fix it ! because it seems convincing that undervolting should help .
    There is an option in Park Control that should be enabled to show the additional options under power settings.
    Once you enable that, you can uninstall Park settings or just keep it installed. It need not be running since you would be updating the options under your power settings  directly.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Liazee

Tinkerer

Sorry for the late response ,
    Tbh i didnt do all the things u mentioned ,
    i simply undervolted and temperature is around 80 celcius whatever game i play .
    R6 is way smoother and got extra 15fps , and LoL is still the same but its already playable so all good .
    Thank you all for the informative help !