which one of the predator helios 500 is better to buy , the i7 version or the AMD version ?

Options
sanjayraina_03
sanjayraina_03 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
just want to know 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    They should be about the same in terms of gaming performance. The AMD helios 500 has no thunderbolt ports, while the intel/nvidia helios 500 has 2 of them.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• pandaomran
    pandaomran Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options
    it depends AMD is better for multi threaded applications like video editing since it uses many threads but if you are buying it for gaming i would say buy the intel version since it has a higher single core clock since games don't use many threads it's better to try to get the higher single core clock which in this case is intel
  • bobzdar
    bobzdar Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I have the amd version and really like it - gpu performance should be slightly higher and multithreaded cpu power is significantly higher.  Single core performance will be higher on the intel, so it will depend on the game.

The biggest issue with the amd version is that the power plan gets set to high performance when plugged in which doesn't allow the processor to properly boost - it gets stuck at its all core boost frequency (~3.4ghz) instead of boosting only the utilized cores. Forcing it to balanced lets it boost to 4.1ghz single core and ~3.9 on 4 cores, significantly elevating performance in games.