Swift 1 is *still* freezing up, even after updating to VGA Driver v.25.20.100.6446

PithyProlix
PithyProlix Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The VGA driver update did not fix the problem reported in https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555244/swift-1-keeps-freezing-up , now closed to discussion. My laptop still freezes up when charger is plugged in.

@Acer-Manny

Answers

• Mateo620
    Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Have you tried a brand new Windows installation? Just starting completely all over? 
  • aldo22
    aldo22 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Does this problem only exist on SF113-31 or also on SF114-32?
    I just read "swift 1" all the time, but these models have different bios and driver versions.
    Drivers for SF114-32 have not been updated since 2018/03/29 afaics.

• PithyProlix
    edited December 2018

aldo22 said:
    I just read "swift 1" all the time, but these models have different bios and driver versions.

• PithyProlix
    aldo22 said:

Mine is SF113-31 and I don't know about SF114-32. This thread is a continuation of https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555244/swift-1-keeps-freezing-up which concerned SF113-31 and was closed to discussion by Acer. The VGA driver for SF113-31 was updated just a few days ago.

(Searching https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support with the serial number or SNID of your machine will bring up the correct drivers for your machine.)
  • PithyProlix
    Mateo620 said:
    Have you tried a brand new Windows installation? Just starting completely all over? 
    No - I suggest you review the discussion I linked to. This started with a recent Windows update and Acer said that the new driver would fix the problem.
  • Mateo620
    Mateo620 said:
    No - I suggest you review the discussion I linked to. This started with a recent Windows update and Acer said that the new driver would fix the problem.
    I will try to read the previous thread if and when I have time. But honestly I think you're wasting your time.

Here's what I would do right now:

1. Create a Windows 10 64-bit 1809 Installation USB
    2. Install Windows from scratch and start from a clean slate
    3. Let Windows install and update drivers, install missing drivers or software as necessary
    4. Enjoy my computer

• Bytemare
    Bytemare Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    I have the  SF114-32 with no issues at all so far. Been updating every windows update and I use my computer alot. My guess is that it's related to other models.
  • Mateo620
    Bytemare said:
    I have the  SF114-32 with no issues at all so far. Been updating every windows update and I use my computer alot. My guess is that it's related to other models.
    A lot of times its a user error. Or simply the user not knowing any better or lacking the knowledge and information. But sometimes other models can be more problematic than others regardless of the user.

(My SF114-32 has also been working fine.)
  • robhock
    robhock Member Posts: 5 New User
    SAME ISSUE: Swift 1 (SF113-31) - Win10 freezing... must hold power button down to turn off. Starting occuring November 2018

Downloading / trying audio driver update.. will post results in this thread.

Question for PithyProlix.. you mentioned you flashed BIOS to v1.13. I'm tempted to try the same in order to remove BIOS locked by password. Do you have any idea if upgrading my BIOS from v1.06 to v1.13 like you did will remove BIOS password?

GLTA
  • PithyProlix
    robhock said:

Question for PithyProlix.. you mentioned you flashed BIOS to v1.13. I'm tempted to try the same in order to remove BIOS locked by password. Do you have any idea if upgrading my BIOS from v1.06 to v1.13 like you did will remove BIOS password?

Sorry, I don't recall that there was a password for my BIOS.
  • DELOY
    DELOY Member Posts: 3 New User
    People. I have the same problem, SF113-31 freezes. Windows 10 with the latest updates. I do not know what else to do. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you.
  • PithyProlix
    I am still having this problem.
  • DELOY
    DELOY Member Posts: 3 New User
    Anyone have any news that solve the freeze?
  • Millymouse
    Millymouse Member Posts: 1 New User
    I still have same problem, swift 1 sf113-31 freezes. Only solution power off and restart. Changed vga driver to 25.20.100.6446 didn't solve the problem. 
  • PithyProlix
    I am the original poster. This problem seems to have gone away on my laptop, not sure when or what fixed it.