No further Windows support for S7-392 ?

SkyHog
SkyHog Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Well it's been a good run, but it appears we have reached the end of the line for any further Microsoft Windows 10 support for our S7-392 laptops.   

Older versions of Win10 still work, but the newest release of Win10 (version 1809) cannot be installed because Microsoft has mandated new requirements for Windows DCH compliant graphics display drivers.  This new Windows DCH compliant driver is required for any new releases through Windows Update.  Intel has already announced that they will not develop new Windows DCH compliant drivers for their older products like the Intel HD4000 Graphics Adapter which is what Acer built into our Acer S7-392 laptops.  

I have enjoyed the S7-392 for years, and I haven't upgraded because it has worked like a champ for over five years, and still looks beautiful too.  But I guess I have no option if I want to keep up with the latest versions of Windows.  Time to look for something new. 

Best Answer

• SkyHog

Tinkerer

edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Well, SCRATCH ALL THE ABOVE....   I finally got the S7-392 updated with the latest version of Windows 10, version 1809.   Windows update had refused to even show availability of the new Windows software  until today (my desktop was upgraded weeks ago).   In any case, it appears my trusty, beautiful S7-392 will be keeping up with the latest Windows software after all.   I'm not sure the problem was the Intel driver though.  Same drivers are working with WIn10 1809 now.   So it must have been a Microsoft problem (they've had many with this particular software version rollout).   In any case, S7-392 is working great with the latest and greatest Win10 version.

Answers

• SkyHog

Tinkerer

edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Well, SCRATCH ALL THE ABOVE....   I finally got the S7-392 updated with the latest version of Windows 10, version 1809.   Windows update had refused to even show availability of the new Windows software  until today (my desktop was upgraded weeks ago).   In any case, it appears my trusty, beautiful S7-392 will be keeping up with the latest Windows software after all.   I'm not sure the problem was the Intel driver though.  Same drivers are working with WIn10 1809 now.   So it must have been a Microsoft problem (they've had many with this particular software version rollout).   In any case, S7-392 is working great with the latest and greatest Win10 version.