2018 Acer Swift 1 SF114-32 Windows DCH Drivers for Intel Products 11/28/2018

Mateo620
Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So today I was notified of the newly released Windows DCH Drivers for Intel Products via my Essential PH-1's Google feed. Being the curious techno-buff that I am I decided to look further into these new drivers. My SF114-32 has the Pentium Silver N5000 and its nifty UHD 605 iGPU so I figured these brand new Intel drivers would work. The old drivers were now going to be classified as Legacy drivers and these new DCH Drivers would be the way to the future. I read over the Release Notes and sure enough it said the UHD 605 built-in to my N5000 were part of this release. So I went directly to the Intel website and downloaded both the .6444 and the BETA .6448 packages. At which I attempted to install both packages only to find out that both failed to install. Pretty disappointing. Am I just getting ahead of myself here and should just wait for Acer to catch up to this release or what?

For both package installations I received the following error message:

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Acer needs to provide the driver for the install to be successful AFAIK. It is the same with my Nitro 5 and the new generic DCH drivers from Intel for the integrated HD 630 graphics; they will not install.

The DCH driver switch was initiated in November. I am not sure of the time frame Acer has to release their own version.
  • Mateo620
    I figured Acer has to validate the drivers on their end. The only question is when will that happen? Of course I don't expect anyone to know at this point. I wish it was more along the lines of how Nvidia does their drivers.
  • Mateo620

A new driver has been added. Can anyone install this properly?

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    I've found that the method of installation matters with the DCH driver install on an OEM laptop such as ours.

Instead of downloading the .exe, find the .zip file version from Intel's download page. Save this .zip, and extract it to a location of your choosing.

Then, go to your Device Manager and select 'Update driver' for the integrated graphics card. Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software' and then select the folder that you;ve extracted the .zip into. At this point, the driver update should begin.

I was previously stuck at the same error as you were, but with this method the install works. I've used it twice now and am on the latest 26.20.100.6709 release of Intel's DCH driver (4/11/2019).
  • Enamur
    Enamur Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    tobimaru said:
    I've found that the method of installation matters with the DCH driver install on an OEM laptop such as ours.

Instead of downloading the .exe, find the .zip file version from Intel's download page. Save this .zip, and extract it to a location of your choosing.

Then, go to your Device Manager and select 'Update driver' for the integrated graphics card. Choose 'Browse my computer for driver software' and then select the folder that you;ve extracted the .zip into. At this point, the driver update should begin.

I was previously stuck at the same error as you were, but with this method the install works. I've used it twice now and am on the latest 26.20.100.6709 release of Intel's DCH driver (4/11/2019).
    You are not facing any slightest of the issues, everything going fine?
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    tobimaru said:

Doesn't Intel warn against doing what you did?
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • Mateo620
    tobimaru said:

Intel explicitly warns against doing this exact method. I haven't tried this myself or checked if the latest drivers finally install so i cannot comment further.
  • XdxD
    edited July 2019
    Mateo620 said:
    Intel explicitly warns against doing this exact method. I haven't tried this myself or checked if the latest drivers finally install so i cannot comment further.
    What's funny is that Intel still provides the zip file while it doesn't want users to use them at all.
  • Mateo620
    XdxD said:
    Mateo620 said:
    What's funny is that Intel still provides the zip file while it doesn't want users to use them at all.
    Haha nice! I'll give it a shot.

Have you noticed any differences in performance? Good/bad?
  • XdxD
    Mateo620 said:
    Haha nice! I'll give it a shot.

Have you noticed any differences in performance? Good/bad?
    I got the DCH update through Windows Update and BlueLight filter works fine for me without intermittent turn-offs even with switch on.
  • Mateo620
    edited July 2019
    Well then that is good news for sure.

So after installing the DCH drivers using the "Device Manager" method they will update automatically with Windows Update moving forward?
  • XdxD
    Mateo620 said:
    Well then that is good news for sure.

So after installing the DCH drivers using the "Device Manager" method they will update automatically with Windows Update moving forward?
    I didn't use the .inf file method. I just clicked on "Search for drivers automatically" and it installed the DCH driver. This way, we don't need to bother about the exe installer. Previous driver was from 2017 and the current one is from February, 2019.