Best path to cloning OEM hard drive to a WD Black Hi-perf NVMe SSD 500 GB ? Acer Spin 5 SP515-51GN

Options
2»

Answers

• vespadaddy
    vespadaddy Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Settings>recovery>more recovery options>learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows

This is what I mean by clean version of windows.  I did this, and the PC will still boot from the HDD, but only if installed in the drive bay, not if that same HDD is installed in a USB3 enclosure and plugged into a USB port (I tried all 3 ports in case it made a difference)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>To recap, I have clean Win10 on the HDD (no Alexa, etc), and this boots only when installed in the drive bay.>>>I have  the full ACER Win10 cloned onto the SSD. >>>

So does this mean the SSD that won't boot is NOT the clone of the clean Win10 HDD that does boot now? If yes, we're probably going to have to add the old trusted EFI file that's now on the hidden SSD partition to the BIOS security tab trusted file list. Remove the HDD so only the SSD is in the machine.  Turn it on again and F2 into the BIOS and the security tab. Click enter on select UEFI file. Look for the SSD drive in the next menu and it's old efi file and enter it. You may have to type the efi filename into the enter box. Save settings and exit. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vespadaddy

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    Options
    Thank you, JackE.  I will try this today or tomorrow and report back.
    1 question, will F2 on boot get me to the full UEFI menu?  I have been using F12 on boot, but that only gets me to the boot selection menu, not the full UEFI menu.
    Edit:  Yes, the SSD clone is NOT cloned of clean windows. It is a clone of the full ACER Win10.   Will the efi file name be listed in the BIOS/UEFI page you have included in your reply directly above?  If not, where do I get that file name?
    Thank you.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Options
    Tapping F2 immediately after turning the machine on will get you into the BIOS menu. While you're at it, check that the F12 and D2D boot options are enabled in the Main tab.

Yes the trusted EFI file should appear in the BIOS submenu after clicking on the 'select trusted efi file' in the security tab. The SSD0 or SSD1 should appear near the top the the submenu that you highlight.

Then the efi file that on the SSD clone's hidden EFI partition, probably bootx64.efi or something similar since you should already have one efi file in the BIOS memory if the HDD still boots from the internal slot. It will be shown in what looks like a Windows or Microsoft subdirectory. You highlight that file to add it to the BIOS memory. If it asks to overwrite the old efi file, choose no and a different name so you can still boot from the HDD. Sometimes the BIOS memory is quirky and won't add it. So then you would actually enter bootx64.efi or whatever name you give it from the keyboard.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vespadaddy

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for the very specific and detailed reply, JackE.  I'll report back when I have a break from holiday plans to dig into it.
  • dharkphoenyx
    dharkphoenyx Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I recently bought a 

Acer Spin 5 SP515-51GN-83YY from Amazon on Prime day.  It comes with a 1 TB spinning HD, but I've read that there's a NVMe slot open.  I bought a Western Digital Black 500 GB drive 3D NAND, 3400MB/s drive that I want to use as the boot drive.  The physical installation of the drive looks pretty easy, but I'm not sure what cloning software I should use to clone the OS to the new SSD.

I'm also wondering what changes I'll need to make in the BIOS to take full advantage of the fast drive I've bought. I know I'll need to go into the BIOS to tell the computer to boot from the new, faster drive, but I'm wondering if I'll need to make any other changes, and what software I should use to clone.  

Thanks for any help

Hi there. I know this is really old, but did you install both the HDD and NVMe SSD in your laptop? I have the same model but I don't have the slot for the SATA III SSD. If I could have both drives, I would. Just wondering how you installed your NVMe SSD.

Thanks.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    There are places for both the M.2 SSD and a 2.5" HDD/SSD. Here's a picture:
    The HDD/SSD is just to the left of the battery and has a cable coming off the motherboard (the black one in the black, blue, purple sequence), under the battery with a right angle turn then over to the drive. The SSD is mounted up next to the fans, has the M.2 connector on the right and a hold down screw at the left. If your system has only a SSD installed from the factory it may or may not have come with the drive cable for hooking up the 2.5" drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.