Adding an OEM DVDRW super drive and 2nd HDD or SSD to Aspire5 A517-51x-xxx with photos

dncb
dncb Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives

There are multiple incomplete or incorrect threads dealing with adding a 2nd HDD and/or an optical drive to Acer Aspire5 model A517-51(x)-xxx. Here it is complete with photos of how to do it.

The x's mean that there might be a G or other letter after the 51. Then there are three or more number/letter combinations after the next dash. So it might look like A517-51-54L4 for a model with a 256K internal SSD mounted to the main board (motherboard) and an empty normal HDD/SSD bay (capable of accepting a 2nd SSD or spinning HDD), and no optical drive (DVDRW super mulit-drive). This particular model does not have either the HDD cable or the receiver plug, board or ribbon cable for the DVRW – called the ODD board and cable. I'm told some models does have the ODD board, but none I've seen has the HDD cable if it didn't come with a spinning HDD – usually a 1TB. If you have any doubts whether you will need the HDD cable, just look in the empty HDD bay and see if the SATA connector is flopping around in there with nothing connected to it.

I've tracked down an authorized Acer factory repair shop and parts dealer, part #'s and prices (which are quite competitive) for all parts related to these additions. I've ordered parts (about 10-day delivery by USPS as they order parts from the Acer factory then deliver them to you) and actually installed all of them (and... have done a HDD to SSD conversion on a Aspire 5 A517-51-568Y not covered in this post. (Clone, remove, initialize new drive, install, clone back (I use Acronis)).

I've posted tips along with pictures to guide you in installing these yourself. Expect about an hour for your 1st HDD/SSD install and 10 more minutes for theDVDRW. You will not need any additional drivers or software. These installs are Plug and Play.

All parts are listed below for both installations with part #'s: both Acer's and the dealer #'s. I didn't list sources for an SSD or SATA to USB3 adapter (handy for cloning, etc), but I've gotten several from Amazon in the past.

I am not a dealer or rep, nor do I receive any compensation for referral, sale of parts or otherwise.

You will need some screws for mounting the HDD or SSD with and in a bracket if you use one (M3x3 or M3x2.5). Also the ODD board to the chassis (M2x3). Some don't bother with a bracket if it's an SSD, but I did. There are some nice mini-metric screw assortments out there. I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D19SDQK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has only an M3x3 for 3mm screws and as you will see I recommend M3x2.5 for the side holes on a Samsung 860 Evo. I got around it by tapping the side holes in the SSD a little deeper. If this sounds scary it's not - because of the way hole are arranged on this drive.

For a nice driver set I got this one which has everything I've needed for years for all those tiny computer screws of all head types:

https://www.amazon.com/Kingsdun-Precision-Screwdriver-Professional-Eyeglasses/dp/B00OZGAE9C

PARTS Dealer:

Capital Data Inc

3300 W. Main St

Lansing, MI 48917-4389

Authorized parts distributors for Acer factory parts.

1-800-999-4409 option/ext 2 for Charlotte. She has researched out all these parts for me/us. They fit all models which begin with A517-51. What is behind that doesn't matter I'm told.

Part #'s are listed as Acer # first followed by Capital Data's part # abbreviated as “CD” then the #

For installing an HDD or SSD:

HDD/SSD cable: (50.GSUN2.002), CD # (A517-51/51/HDDCBL) ( main board connector to standard SATA connector) $15.00

HDD/SSD mounting bracket (Caddy): (33.GP4N2.002), CD # (A517-51/HDDCDY) $11.00

For installing an optical drive:

Acer Super Multi-Drive kit - $55.00 includes:

DVDRW: (KO.00807.025)

DVDRW Faceplate (42.GSUN2.003) You need this. Dummy insert cannot be adapted.

DVDRW Mounting Bracket (33.GSUN2.001)

Also need if your unit does not have it:

ODD Board (55.GSUN2.002), CD part # (A517-51/ODDBD) $22.00

ODD Cable (50.GSUN2.004, CD part # (A517-51/ODDCBL) $9.00

Good luck! Don't forget to keep yourself grounded before you crack the case of any electronics device with a chip in it, adding/replacing memory, etc.

Answers

• dncb

Tinkerer

Just to clarify the last caption. Both models I did did NOT require any drivers for wither the SSD or DVDRW.
  • MaratMir
    MaratMir Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks a lot for the detailed description!
    How can I ensure if the "ODD board" is present in my A517-51G-56LL without opening it?

• dncb

Tinkerer

MaratMir said:
    Thanks a lot for the detailed description!
    How can I ensure if the "ODD board" is present in my A517-51G-56LL without opening it?

Just remove the [only] screw on the case bottom that holds your dummy DVDRW in place (see the photos to locate). Then slide it out and use a flashlight to look in the slot to see if it's there. It would be obvious if it is there-but don't expect it. Chances are it is not. It is super easy to add.

• dncb

Tinkerer

I might add... The dummy placeholder for the drive is exactly the same size as the actual DVDRW (not just an outside cover) but made out of plastic with a flat rear end instead of the SATA connector the actual DVDRW has and would be inserted into. Hence, if the ODD board was there the dummy probably would hit the ODD's SATA connector of it before the dummy could be fully seated. So, it is almost certainly NOT there.
  • MaratMir
    MaratMir Member Posts: 2 New User
    dncb said:
    ...So, it is almost certainly NOT there.
    Thanks a lot! Yes, removing just one screw was enough to see that my laptop does not have the ODD board.
  • RBwai
    RBwai Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Is it possible to upgrade A517-51P with 2.5 SSD? I open SSD door and there is no SATA connector near battery. I assumed it should be installed manualy, but I dont want to open the whole back cover to if the SATA connector for SSD is present on board. Any suggestion or link where to by SATA cable and mounting bracket? 
  • dncb

Tinkerer

RBwai said:
    Is it possible to upgrade A517-51P with 2.5 SSD? I open SSD door and there is no SATA connector near battery. I assumed it should be installed manualy, but I dont want to open the whole back cover to if the SATA connector for SSD is present on board. Any suggestion or link where to by SATA cable and mounting bracket? 
    I would suggest actually reading the post.
  • mana1000
    mana1000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2019
     suggest actually reading the post. Bluestacks   Lucky Patcher   Kodi 
  • RBwai
    RBwai Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Thanks, I've already read the post, but I'm from Europe and can not find Acer spare parts like HDD cables, disk bracket, ... Is there any seller in EU that is selling those spare parts for Aspire A517-51?