nitro 5 an515-51 hot and laggy when gaming

Options
13»

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If 90 is your average CPU temperature, you're likely not running at full speed on CPU or GPU given they're a shared heatsink design. I'm not convinced it's audio related as we are on similar models and I use Realtek/Acer drivers from their website without issue. However, I've taken a few steps to reduce temperatures which makes all the difference when gaming or working the laptop.

Try blowing any dust out from the fans and underside of the laptop where the intake is. Within the 'Acer Quick Access' application make sure to enable the 'CoolBoost' feature to increase fan speeds under load. This helps quite a bit in cooling.

Another small trick is keeping the laptop propped up a bit on table coasters or something similar. Combined with clean intake ports, it really helps with airflow.

If that's all in order and you're still seeing 90C or higher temps while gaming it may require more drastic intervention. Namely; undervolting the CPU and re-pasting the CPU/GPU with better thermal paste. These are slightly more advanced methods to control the temperatures but also possibly the most effective if you're on an otherwise clean but overheating system.

In this case I don't think the Graphics card drivers actually matter at this point. You should probably stick with the currently installed version for now in order to not introduce any more variables to your trouble shooting.

• RipeNitro
    RipeNitro Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    thx i think im gonna go to a pc store after new year and re-paste seems like the most realible thing to do i tried so many other things under volt dosnt sound so safe for me to do
  • RipeNitro
    RipeNitro Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    just notice just when i open the laptop and start to play a game i instantly get the lag stuttering every 10-5sek even when the pc is cold
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    OK. Time to do an ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. This will rule in or rule out a hardware issue. You should do a back up or make an image of your HDD. Then unplug the charger. Disconnect or reset the battery for 30 seconds. Let the machine rest for about 15mins. Then plug the charger back in. Turn the machine back on and ***immediately*** press and hold the ALT key while pressing the F10 key till the ACER recovery screen reappears. Then follow instructions in the video below preferrably disconnected from the internet to avoid complications from Win10updates. After resetting the machine, turn on system protection in Control Panel's restore point app before re-connecting to the internet so any problem Win10updates can be restored to previous version. Also uninstall, not just disable, any 3rd party antivirus apps like McAfee, Norton, AVG, etc.  Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• Diedes
    Diedes Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    RipeNitro said:
    thx i think im gonna go to a pc store after new year and re-paste seems like the most realible thing to do i tried so many other things under volt dosnt sound so safe for me to do
    I doubt this will work, I have basically the same problems as you, as I posted on the 17th of December. All of the things that are recommended to you in this thread, are things I already did, that is why nobody replied on my post. Thermal pasting, been there at the repair center and they did that. Didn´t help anything. Nobody really knows what is wrong with our computers, Acer just did a ***** job and sold us crappy laptops (might be a AN515-51/52/53 related problem, as more ppl reporting similar problems with those numbers). I am kinda angry at Acer, that we wasted a bulk of money and now are also wasting a lot of time. I also don´t understand why an acer employee put "Resolved" on this topic, because the problem is not resolved at all.

Don´t get me wrong, it is good if you go to repair, but don´t let them get off with only a thermal pasting, because you will still have the problem afterwards. Let them find the real problem, because the repair center where I went to is too incompetent to find the problem, maybe your repair center has more luck.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/557374/acer-nitro-5-ans15-52-super-slow-lag-spikes-since-beginning#latest
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    If the machine exhibited this behavior shortly after purchase. and the ALT+F10 reset didn't work, it should be returned to the vendor/seller ASAP for a refund or exchange. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ