My new swift sf314 54g i3 will not accept windows 8.1

Options
Jcollins717
Jcollins717 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I installed Windows 8.1 from a USB drive and I gey critical errors. Will this machine run windows 8.1? Is it compatible?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Not fully compatible. Some Win8.1 device drivers may not work properly or at all. It should however be installed in UEFI mode with a GPT partitioned Win8.1 USB stick. You must also disable secure boot. You could also try to make a dual boot  Win10 & Win8.1 machine by shrinking the Win10 partition to make unallocated space available for a Win8.1 system installation. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jcollins717
    edited December 2018
    Options
    How do I put it in uefi mode to install 8.1?
  • JackE
    Options
    If you haven't yet entered the BIOS menu by tapping the F2 key immediately after turning the machine on, it should already be in UEFI mode. To make it dual boot, you would first shrink the Win10 partition using Control Panel's disk management app to free up space on the hard disk drive (HDD) for the Win8.1 installation. A few BIOS menu changes would also be needed but basically that's it. However, Win10 can be set up to have virtually the same look and feel of Win8.1 if that's what you're looking for. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Jcollins717
    Options
    no matter what option I choose I cannot get any further than this. I've had this laptop 4 days and it's still a paper weight. I've tried booting it in uefi mode with a Windows 8.1 USB drive and a Windows 10 usb drive both made from Rufus and partioned as gpt...and nothing, right back to this screen. I'm about to return this Acer and get a Dell I guess.
  • JackE
    Options
    Hold on!!! You're jumping ahead too fast. You must first set a supervisor password in the BIOS menu security tab. Then save and exit the BIOS menu. Then re-enter the BIOS menu with the password to disable secure boot in the BOOT tab. Then you should rearrange the BIOS boot order so the USB stick is first in the Boot order. Save and exit the BIOS menu. Then try to install from the USB boot stick. All the UEFI bios from all the major manufacturers are set up this way as a security measure. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jcollins717
    Options
    Actually, the swift 3 has a revised bios that does not allow booting from the USB. There is no lagacy option. I finally took mine back to where I purchased it and they exchanged it with an aspire with equal specs and even added 8gb of ram for me. Now when I put my USB drive inside the aspire it boots right up to install Windows 10. Bottom line is ..you have to be very tech-savvy to put a new OS on the Swift.
  • JackE
    Options
    Aye!!!! The USB install stick you were trying to use must've been MBR partitioned. It must be GPT-partitioned for a UEFI BIOS to recognize it! Even if the Swift had a legacy option, Win8.1 operates better with a UEFI BIOS on a GPT-partitoned, not MBR partitioned, HDD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ