Is the Power supply on the Acer Aspire TC-865 proprietary, or user upgradeable?

Options

Best Answer

• JPN
    JPN Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Is this NEW 480W Acer Aspire tc-865-neselecti3 POWER SUPPLY REPLACE 50N.12 on Ebay listed. Compatible for the tc-865-ur14?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It's a pretty standard ATX supply, you should be able to find lots and lots of upgrade options.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bobharris77
    bobharris77 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    How exactly, can you remove the power supply from a TC-865? It seems to be mounted in such a way that it's almost impossible to take out.
  • billsey
    Options
    Once you remove the screws from the back it should slide forward. If there's not enough room you might have to remove the HDD bracket first.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bobharris77

Tinkerer

Options
    Look inside. You cannot slide the power supply forward or in any direction. There is a black, plastic object which prevents that.
  • billsey
    Options
    Here's the relevant page from the service manual. They suggest taking out the HDD bracket first. Note what looks like a spring clip near where the wires exit the PSU...

• bobharris77

Tinkerer

Options
    Look at the picture on the bottom right. You cannot slide the PS in the direction of the arrow, because of the little black, cube shaped thing. I had no problem removing the HD panel and the DVD. But I could not budge the PS in any direction. To see what I mean, you have to try it.
  • bkonicke
    bkonicke Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2019
    Options
    The rectangular black object is a piece of dense foam, probably for vibration. What you're looking for is the silver metal latch at the bottom of the 4th pic. That's holding your PS in place. Takes a bit of effort to push it down while sliding the PS toward the front of the case.
  • bkonicke
    bkonicke Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    For those searching threads, the original question's answer is that at least with the TC-865-NESelecti5 I purchased, the PS is a standard ATX form factor which measures 140x150x86mm. The unit is an FSP fsp300-60tha(1), P/N 9PA3007410. It's rated at 300W continuous and Designed for Acer, though I imagine that's about the cabling. The slimline SATA power connector the DVD needs doesn't appear to be common at all in this FF and the length of them is shorter than normal replacements. Things to consider if you're bent on swapping.
  • bobharris77

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks bkonicke. You're right of course. It was that clip that threw me. I'd never seen anything like that before. As for the DVD drive, you need this to hook it up to a different power supply.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-6-Pin-Slimline-SATA-Cable-for-Slim-latop-SATA-DVD-CD-RW-Drive-power-cable-PC/263253745460?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

• JPN

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Is this NEW 480W Acer Aspire tc-865-neselecti3 POWER SUPPLY REPLACE 50N.12 on Ebay listed. Compatible for the tc-865-ur14?

• Skybear1988
    Skybear1988 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

i want upgrade my TC-865 desktop PSU for the GTX 1650 but i dont know what PSU to go with. Any recommendations?

• JPN

Tinkerer

Options

I think is the same. https://www.whatpsu.com/psu/gpu/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1650 I wish had found this page sooner.