Helios 500 Bright/Stuck Pixels?

STOPchris
STOPchris Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I bought a Helios 500 from Amazon and everything is great, but it has a bight red pixel. Now, for a 500 dollar laptop, I could probably accept that. However, for a 2500 dollar laptop, I am highly unwilling to accept that. Amazon is sending a replacement and I am sending back the defective item. My question is, do other customers (who have the Helios 500) have the same issue? Is this a pretty standard quality control issue with these laptops? If they send me another one with any bight/stuck pixels, I will just return for a refund and move on to another company. 

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I run a Helios 500 facebook group with hundreds of owners.. while there has been issues here & there which required a return, this is the first pixel related issue I've heard of
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Obviously no manufacturer is devoid of issues at random.. as a very satisfied H500 owner and tester of many types/brands of laptops.. I can easily say the H500 has been my best investment in many years.
    You will be quite pleased with its performance. 

Which model did you snag?
    I have the i7-8750H model
    - Hotel Hero
  • STOPchris
    Red-Sand said:
    Obviously no manufacturer is devoid of issues at random.. as a very satisfied H500 owner and tester of many types/brands of laptops.. I can easily say the H500 has been my best investment in many years.
    You will be quite pleased with its performance. 

Which model did you snag?
    I have the i7-8750H model
    I have the i9 model. It is a beast for sure, I just cannot accept a screen with pixel defects for 2500 dollars. You are putting me at ease though with your reply. Generally, it is just a one-time issue. I have a PG279Q monitor that had the same issue when I bought it, replaced it with Amazon and the replacement was perfect. I hope this is the situation with the Helios 500.

• STOPchris
    I got the new one and it doesn't have any pixel issues that I can find so far, which I looked pretty thoroughly. However, this one has worse backlight bleed. So, I can either choose between quality control issues, or just return for a refund and go with another company's offering. I haven't decided if I am willing to accept the worse backlight bleed... I am definitely not willing to accept the pixel issues.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    STOPchris said:
    I got the new one and it doesn't have any pixel issues that I can find so far, which I looked pretty thoroughly. However, this one has worse backlight bleed. So, I can either choose between quality control issues, or just return for a refund and go with another company's offering. I haven't decided if I am willing to accept the worse backlight bleed... I am definitely not willing to accept the pixel issues.
    Backlight bleed its pretty normal for all ips screens sometimes its worse because the frame screws are too tight so by releasing them a bit it will make it better in some situations my G3-572 it's pretty good in my view didn't had any issues :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• STOPchris
    xapim said:
    STOPchris said:
    Backlight bleed its pretty normal for all ips screens sometimes its worse because the frame screws are too tight so by releasing them a bit it will make it better in some situations my G3-572 it's pretty good in my view didn't had any issues :)
    Ips glow and backlight bleed are different. The first laptop had ips glow, the second has ips glow (normal) and backlight bleed.
  • fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I have tried 3 Helios 500 laptops, 1 amd and 2 Intel systems.
    The 2 Intel systems had 1 green stuck subpixel, while the amd had 3 stuck green subpixels.