New Acer Swift 3 plagued with issues

shoman24v
shoman24v Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Nov. 5, 2018 I purchased a very nice Acer Swift 3 SF314-52G-55WQ from Amazon.  Since Owning it though, It seems to have been plagued with issues.

PC Specs: 
i5 8250U Quad Core
GeForce MX150
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
V1.09 Bios

I was getting constant DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR messages, either while using the PC or upon fresh boots.  I also get constant WiFi drops, and instances where the mouse simply stops working.

It seems these errors are related to power, correct me if I'm wrong.

With that said, I went into the power settings and made some changes.

Wireless Adapter settings - Maximum Performance
PCI Express > Link State Power Management - Off
Intel Graphics Settings > Graphics Power Plan - On Battery - Moderate

I also tried netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Changing the the settings above seemed to help curb the green screens above, but have not solved my WiFi drops - which happen constantly.  I've updated the drivers, downgraded the drivers, still no success.  There's no new bios, and you can't downgrade bios.

Now, I'm not new to computers, but I should not have this many issues with a new PC out of the box.

Outside of a fresh install, anyone have any suggestions?

Older version of errors than above.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    >>>Outside of a fresh install, anyone have any suggestions?>>>

No. But don't waste any more time and do a factory fresh reset using the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown in the video below. If it doesn't substantially resolve most or all of the issues then either return the machine to the vendor/seller pronto for an exchange/refund if still within the return time-limit policy or arrange for ACER repair which'll take longer. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA 

Jack E/NJ

• shoman24v

Tinkerer

edited December 2018
    JackE said:
    >>>Outside of a fresh install, anyone have any suggestions?>>>

No. But don't waste any more time and do a factory fresh reset using the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown in the video below. If it doesn't substantially resolve most or all of the issues then either return the machine to the vendor/seller pronto for an exchange/refund if still within the return time-limit policy or arrange for ACER repair which'll take longer. Jack E/NJ
    Okay, I will perform a reset.  But, I am going to install a fresh copy of Windows 10, rather than try to reset the PC.  I'll report back over the coming days If this fixes my issues.  If not, I will return.  
  • JackE
    NOOOO!!!! The MS generic version of Win10 is not the same as the ACER-flavored Win 10. You will run into device driver issues that may not be totally resolvable using ACER drivers on generic Win10 since some of the Win10 system files that these drivers must interact with may be different from ACER versions. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• shoman24v

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    NOOOO!!!! The MS generic version of Win10 is not the same as the ACER-flavored Win 10. You will run into device driver issues that may not be totally resolvable using ACER drivers on generic Win10 since some of the Win10 system files that these drivers must interact with may be different from ACER versions. Jack E/NJ
    Lol, I had quite a bit of problems with the Acer version.  Everything seems to be okay right now.  I will monitor over the next few days.
  • shoman24v

Tinkerer

Unfortunately, the PC is still experiences the same issues.  Mouse stopped working, WiFi drops, same  DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR I was getting before.  

I am returning this machine.  If I can't find something I like for the same or a little more, I will re-purchase and hope I get a better model, because I truly do enjoy it.  It's the perfect balance between casual use and light indy gaming.

Maybe I got just got one with some faulty hardware.
  • JackE
    >>>I am returning this machine.>>>

That's the best move at this point. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• shoman24v

Tinkerer

My new PC came and I've been using it now for several days now with no issues.

It had an older build date than my previous one, almost by a year!  has v.1.06 bios.

Much happier with this thing!
  • JackE
    Congrats. Keep that BIOS version!!! Don't mess with it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SALAM
    SALAM Member Posts: 1 New User
    disable NVDIA graphics will solve your problem